+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to connect tippet to leader?

Default Best way to connect tippet to leader?

Ive been trying to connect my tippet to my leader with a loop to loop system using a double surgeons.I find the very fine tippet material breaks easily even when i lubricate the knot.
    Any suggestions?

saflyfish,

I use a double surgeons knot and don't seem to have more breaks than usual. Of course, this connection is, I guess for practical purposes, supposed to be the weakest link between the fly and the reel. That way if you get hung up in a tree, under a rock or if you want to break a fish off, you'll minimize your loss.

Allan

Does the tippet material break easliy with other knots? My though is it might be the tippet and not the knot?

My $0.02

-ST

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingwis.com:1d746]www.flyfishingwis.com[/url:1d746]

saflyfish,
    Get into the habit of eliminating a loop/loop tippet connection. They're weak, hinge and give you more trouble than they're worth.

Do as Allan suggests, a double of even triple surgeons. I use a triple but ...your call.

Loop/loops are troublesome and weak.

Jeremy.

I use a blood knot. Took a little bit to learn it, but now I can tie it easily without much trouble. Never had any problems.

------------------

A blood knot forever!

after years of using a blood knot....I found the surgeons knot.....dubbl trippl quad...whatever....for me the knot is useless....or possibly the line I use is not compatable...whatever the reason a surgeons knot cost me an 8lb stillwater bow this past spring....have landed many larger steelhead in fast water in Onterrible using the blood knot....so I will stick with it...just my experiences...yours may vary.. )

mojo

I also like the double surgeon's knot. Sometimes I'll go to a quad if I'm fishing for bass and I don't have a replacement on hand for the fly pattern I'm using. Does anyone else ever experience either of the following problems?

triple, quad or higher surgeon knots breaking easily?

triple surgeons causing a kink in your line at the knot? This has on occasion led me to tying quad surgeons.

Jeremy,

I agree to disagree - I use perfection loops loop to loop and they're pretty strong.Sure, not 100% knot strength, but they do have their place. For indicator fishing, they work fantastic, and they allow me to adjust length quickly, and I can make drastic changes in tippet diameter and stil have good knot strength. For example, I can go from using 1x to 4x tippet with a 18-lb main line in seconds. It would be very difficult to get a surgeons knot to hold an 18-lb test to 4x or eveb 2x connection at greater than about 75% strength, and the alternative is "stepping down" tippet sizes which takes time. So loop to loop does have its place! Hinging isn't an issue with a big piece of split shot I can't tell the difference.

For dry flies, swinging nymphs, or soft-hackles I recommend a triple surgeons or orvis knot for the tippet. Do a web search, they'll show up.

-John

10. Default

Maybe I'm off the mark but I thought the blood knot is best utilized on materials that have similar diameters while the double surgeon's knot was best used when tying to materials together of a differing diameter, in order to prevent slippage.

Speaking of knots. For those who hand tie their leaders with bloodknots, do you use the old pliobond or like material to coat the knots to allow them to glide through the eyes of the rod easier?

+ Reply to Thread