+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Rebel XSi

Smile Canon Rebel XSi

Took another step into the world of digital photography today. A step up from the Olympus Stylus 850SW I've been using regularly since last May. That camera was a good introduction to digital, which, for those who haven't tried it, is a totally different experience than film photography.

Picked up a Canon Rebel XSi which came with an 18-55mm lens with image stabilization ( IS ) from Circuit City. 20% off as Circuit City winds down locally.

Also picked up a Canon 55-250mm telephoto lens with IS from our local camera shop, which is affliated with Ritz.

The Olympus will be my mainstay for fishing pics and cold weather outdoor stuff with its waterproof / shockproof / freezeproof features.

The Canon will be my primary camera for everything else, from indoors and macro to outdoors landscape / scenery and wildlife telephoto photography.

The Rebel XSi is a relatively simple but quite versatile digital SLR. The focus is on image quality, and that is where it should be for what I have in mind for this camera. The image quality / optics on the test shots I took at maximum telephoto before buying the camera were quite impressive. Will probably be a few days before I get a chance to test it in the field, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what it will do.

Wish me luck.

John
    The fish are always right.

Default Good Luck

John, Just don't get it wet taking pics of the fish.
    My wife is taking a Digital Photograhy class at the local Community College where she teaches. It seems to be a fun class. She needed a new camera for it, and life. We purchased a Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR body with 5 lenses and a whole bunch of other stuff. Like they saw us coming. We even got it in HD. It was really a good deal though and she does take thousands of pictures.
    So far she hasn't let me touch it.
    Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

nighthawk Guest

Thumbs up Congratulations!

John,
    Congratulations! That is a great camera. Good deal on the IS lenses too. You got a great deal all around. I did a lot of research before buying my Pentax k110d and again before upgrading to the K10D The differences now between the major manufacturers are getting very small when it comes to digital SLR cameras. The two cameras I liked the most were the Pentax K10D and the Rebel XSi.

Canon makes a great product. I will be looking forward to seeing some photos soon. I might recommend one additional, very inexpensive item for you. It's called a Rainsleeve. I don't recall if your model of the Rebel is weather resistant or not but even if it is a little inexpensive extra protection never hurts. Check them out here:

http://www.optechusa.com/product/detail/?PRODUCT_ID=73

Easy to use, packs into a very small space and worth the few bucks of added protection. I got mine on ebay and yes, I have tested it. Works great.

Welcome to the Dark Side of digital photography!

John, can't wait to see some of your pictures!
    Glenn

John, I have the XT. Terrific camera btw. I got the same tele lens as you do to.
    It's a great camera, but trying to use it one handed while you're taking a picture of a fish is a feat in itself. But, I'm sure you find that out soon.
    Take the pictures in the highest setting and RAW and play with the photos. It's a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnarocks View Post
    John, Just don't get it wet taking pics of the fish.
    My wife is taking a Digital Photograhy class at the local Community College where she teaches. It seems to be a fun class. She needed a new camera for it, and life. We purchased a Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR body with 5 lenses and a whole bunch of other stuff. Like they saw us coming. We even got it in HD. It was really a good deal though and she does take thousands of pictures.
    So far she hasn't let me touch it.
    Jim
    Sorry, I have to ask... what is HD when talking about the 50D? I know the 5DMK2 has HD video mode, but the 50D?

Great camera bodies -- the XSI and the 50D. Looking forward to your pictures.

john im glad for you and your new purchase. i think im more glad for myself because ill have more of your photos to drool over! looking forward to seeing them. enjoy!

chris
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Default H D

Quote Originally Posted by troutgeek View Post
    Sorry, I have to ask... what is HD when talking about the 50D?
    58mm High Definition PRO Wide Angle Lens w/ Macro Lens attachment
    58mm High Definition 2X Telephoto Lens
    58mm 3 pc Filter Kit High Definition: UV - Polarizer - FDL
    58mm UV Digital Multi Coated Professional High Definition Filter

Like I said, the salesman saw me coming. The camera body is not HD. The lenses we bought are HD lenses. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I had an Olympus Stylus also, and I didn't find it too user friendly. The controls are in the wrong spot. I would try to take a picture and to hole the camera with one hand and I would hit all the buttons by accident. It takes good pictures though.
    I went with the Canon Power Shot. Had a deal at Inkley's that too hard to resist. The camera and a printer for $129. I bought the frost filter and the Polarized, got a ring adapter off ebay.
    Takes awesome pictures:

this was with the polarized not the frost LOL Just a little nippy this morning.

wow what a great picture Goddess! Holy Macro....a beauty. Would make a nice painting on the wall.
    Wish I could take photos like that. Maybe someday I will learn how. But that is gorgeous.

Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread