+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple and True

There are some really great thoughts here. Although the metaphor was a literal experience that helped me "in the moment" in a most profound way. I have cut my share of tangles. Having the same answer to the same situation is like using your go to fly. It might not work.

That being said, I think Betty brings up an interesting point that might deserve its own post. When do you offer help and when do you keep on moving. Sometimes people like contact with others when they are fishing, especially if they are struggling. Those times when someone took the time to see how I was doing and offered me some flies the made my day are priceless. They are as priceless as the times I've done the same for others (although I can finally laugh at the time I gave a guy my custom hopper thinking I had more when I didn't).

Just as often though, I come across someone who gives me the stink eye because I'm breathing his air 50 yards away. I guess you gotta take em as they come.

PS. Betty, if you see me struggling, I'll take that helping hand with a smile. Sounds like you are the type that isn't happy fishing unless everyone fishing is happy. And that, IMHO is special thing. "Good on ya"
    Last edited by DSFlyman; 01-27-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Ds,
    The help is always offered and followed through with a smile! How do I differentiate between those who want help and those who don't? I ask. If I get the stink eye, I move on. If they say yes, I do what I can. I'm basically a happy person, having learned the importance of life (hint: being alive), and am happy to share it. Plus, I'm a total sucker for babies (young people) and old men.

I can't imagine you struggling, but the smile would always be there. Thank you.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty, I'm very close to being one of the oldest on this site...."Want a walnetto"?

One Friday morning I decided to try my luck on the Elk River. They were to shut down the generators at 9 am. so if I got there a 9:30 it would be fishable. There sat a small bus from a school over in Chatanooga and the river below the bridge was loaded up with 12 - 16 year old fly fishers and maybe 3 adults.

Cool!! Most of the kids looked like they had had some casting lessons and I saw a few catch a trout or 2 while I found a spot where I could slip in at work one of my favorite deep runs.

A short time later a youngster of about 12 caught a tree about 60 feet from me and lost leader, tippet and fly! Now we were a couple of hundred yards down stream from his main group and the adults seemed to more interested in fishing than helping the beginers.

I got a "dyin' calf in a rain storm look", and a "Mister can you help me out? I lost everything!". While I rigged him up with a fluorocarbon furled leader, tippet and an olive reverse spider he told me that this was his first time and he hadn't caught a fish all day! So after I got him set to fish again I told him to come stand by me, "You see that spot up by bank where the sun is shining on the water?". "Cast there and let it sink and swing, give your rod tip a little flip upstream, "that's a mend and will let your fly sink better". Well he came up with a nice fiesty 12" Rainbow and I showed him how to wet his hand pick up the fish remove the hook and release it. About that time I saw another young fly fisher a bit down stream hook a fish drop the but of the rod in the water and land the fish by griping the rod about midway to the tip!! I waded down while he was still fighting the fish and sort of did a "Whoa There Son, your going to break your rod that way!!" and showed him how to bring a fish to hand. He was thankful for my help. By this time my first youngster had brought in 2 more and was having a great time. I wonder what the others thought when he came back in with that goofy leader and fly?

Same spot but another day. I was fishing one of my favorite runs when a pair of fishermen entered the river behind me. It's wide enough so it was no problem. I can no longer say "The Older Gentleman" as I am one! However he was infirm and struggled to wade in ankle deep water. His casts were pure delight to watch, here was a man that had been at it for a good while! The younger gentleman with him was a spin fisher and stayed very close by. I remember catching a Small Mouth Bass and remarking about how unusual that was!! After an hour or so I heard the younger man call to me "Sir, I hate to interupt your fishing, but could you sit with my uncle while I go get the truck!". Now at this point on the river there is a Rock, a place I've set many times to change a fly, a tippet or leader. As he rested on the "Rock" we talked, small talk mostly not a lot about fly fishing, he was using a Sage 5 wt btw. I walked back to the gravel bar and the truck with him, slowly wondering what tales he could tell!

Will I ever see any of these friends again? I don't know, but I'll never forget them!

I'm not opposed to whacking off a jumbled leader, but if the fishing hasn't been stellar, and I wind up jammed up, I'll sit down and work it out for no other reason than penance for the sloppy casting I did to get into the mess in the first place. A little pain to drive the lesson home.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Hi. I'm new here, but really enjoy the board. I tried my hand at fly fishing ten plus years ago, but a relocation sent me far away from my Pal that introduced me to the craft.

After ten years I ran into an older gentleman that I became good friends with. He is an old school fly angler from way back and the fire was quickly rekindled.
    I've been at it this time for a couple of years and have been the beneficiary of the selfless and generous help all of you speak of. I have spent many a long hour on my lawn practicing my casts and have made huge improvements. But, I'm still not beyond creating a birds nest, especially in the wind. So, my solution is to carry a spare reel set up and ready to go. If I create a mess that's going to put me out of action for an extended period of time, I just switch reels and sort out the mess when I get home.

I'm generally a patient person and realize that a few bird's nests come with the territory while I continue to hone the skills. But, like most everyone else, my schedule is packed and time on the river is precious. So, I choose to try to sharpen my casting and fishing skills on the water and work on my knot untying skills on dry ground.

Keith

Hi EKA
    Welcome aboard! You've found the best board on the web. There's a wealth of flyfishing knowlege contained in the menu on the left side of the homepage, and much more in the knowlege of the people who post here. Don't be reluctant to ask questions, because someone on here will know the answer. You might try re-introducing yourself in the Fly Anglers Online forum, which probably gets the most traffic, and more people will see your post. Check out the other forums while you're at it. There's something for everybody. It's a great journey. Enjoy yourself.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Thank you for the warm welcome Lew.

Keith

Betty I thought you may be interested in hearing from someone on the other side of the equation.
    I was fishing spring creek in Caledonia NY not knowing a thing about what I was doing and it must have really shown. I had been to the local Orvis Shop and was all decked out with my tippet spools all hanging just so from my vest and my nippers and all the gadgets that Orvis told me I needed. I had my fly box well stocked with all the flies for Spring creek.
    I was wandering the bank in a state of shellshock and was headed back to my car defeated. A fellow that was fishing there called to me and said" your'e passing up a lot of good real estate there" I explained to him that I was dumbfounded and he took the time to see how I had my rod rigged up. He made the adjustments such as putting a tippet on my leader( they don't just hang nicely from your vest after all) and put a couple micro split shot on and showed me which fly to use. He took a few extra minutes and made sure I knew how to tie a blood knot before he left me to fish. My third cast I had a nice little brown on and I'm not sure who was grinning more, me or this stranger.
    All in all he gave up over an hour of his fishing time to help someone he had never met before. I never ran into him again after that but the memory has stayed with me for 27 years now as if it were yesterday.
    I have found myself returning the great favor time and time again and have gotten the same joy out of it that this guy felt.

Man, I love this sport and its incredible people. You all rock!
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread