+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too many options

Seems to me it depends on where I am fishing. If I am in my driftboat on a over night, 2 day float, I take every fly I have, and a small tying kit. Since I have enough space in the boat, I would rather deal with all the choices than not have any to make. Also, if you keep your eyes open and observe enough the river and fish will tell you what to use. I jsut have my boxes sepereated by insect species, and stages. Not that I am into numbers caught, but I dont like the idea of going on a float and not catching fish cause I dont have the size 10 dark caddis pupa, cause I couldn't deal with all the choices.

Walk in day trips to a small creek are another story, one box of flies only in the front vest pocket (starting lineup), and a few more in the back pocket. Simply put, it is not a weight issue, but space. I dont carry all my boxes, but enough to keep me covered for most conditions. Seems the ones in the backpocket are rarely used or looked at, but having to use the box just once a season is often enough to justify it for me. If I am having to remove a few fly boxes cause I cannot lug them around, well, that means I should get a lot more excercise!

Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

foxxtrot--you should switch to tube flies. Hundreds of flies and one hook.

------------------

Bill

+ Reply to Thread