+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chris's Crawfish

Default Chris's Crawfish

I was looking at some of the panfish patterns from the archives here and came across this crawfish pattern by Christopher Wojda. It looks like a simple pattern to tie. Has anyone tied one of these, and is so, how affected it was?

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I am the chris who thought up the crayfish.

It works great!

I have caught many bass on it, and my fishing budddies steal a bunch of them off me every year.

It is a minimal investement ; more or less 3 bucks for the material , so it is a win-win situation!

Have fun fishing it,
    chris

Hi Chris, it's nice to "meet you" and a great simple fly

What size hooks did you normally tie this crawfish on? I've seen other crawfish patterns use hooks up to 1/0, a bit large for panfish, but would be idea for bass for sure.

I was thinking using some #8 or #6's to start out with. And any particular hook style work, i.e. streamer hook, curved hook .. ?

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Hello Mike,

You are right about the hooks!

I prefer to make smaller crayfish, the fish seem to take the smaller pattern more easly.

I guess they think it is a tasty little snack.

I use the 3399 hooks ,or whatever simular hooks I have lying arround.

The thing with furry foam is that you have to soak your flies befor fishing them, it makes them sink quicker.

I like to let them roll down riffle runs, and bouce of the bottom like a small crayfish caught in the current out of control.

If you would like , we could trade flies.

I am always looking for new nymph patterns to try out.

Take care,
    chris

thanks Chris. I prefer using smaller hooks when possible. I caught a 3-1/2# bass last fall on a #8 streamer, deep clouser I think.

I'd luv to swap if my fly tying was better. just started tying my own flies the past few months now. Right now I'm concentrating on panfish flies, foams & terrestrials. Had allot of luck with poppers too.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread