+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying a sling type pack.

Default Thinking of trying a sling type pack.

William Joseph, Orvis, and many others have these available. I don't have any experience with them however.

The chest pack is out because of my general shape and the perceived inability to see my feet wearing these types. Fanny packs are also not a good Idea once again to my shape. This time lack of a butt verses being barrel chested.

Have for the last ten years used a shorty vest which I will still on occasion dunk the bottom pockets. lol That isn't a big deal but its about to be retired if I can find a better way.

So anyone with experiences in the over one shoulder sling type tell me about what to expect. Your likes and dislikes with them and recommend the ones you think I should check out.

JJ
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

jj:

I recently ordered a small Chapman bag for myself to use when I fish small brookie streams where I have a pretty good idea of what to expect tackle-wise. I haven't received it yet since I ordered it directly from the UK. While they aren't the cheapest bag out there, they are pretty nice with a lot more options than the Hardy equivalent. (BTW - I am told that Chapman makes the bags for Hardy.)

Folks that use them love them so I decided to try one myself since I always wanted a classic fishing bag anyhow. Those in the know HIGHLY recommend a WIDE shoulder strap as opposed to a narrow strap with a pad. I can concur on that recommendation as I have a large over-the-shoulder bag I use for bass fishing and even with a 1-1/2" wide strap & pad it can get a tad uncomfortable after awhile.

Obviously there are lots of other options out there, some with a lot more bells & whistles than a classic canvas Hardy or Chapman bag. Unfortunately the Wood River Company who IMHO made the best over-the-shoulder bags, went out of business a few years back but they do show up on eBay on occasion. They were designed in many sizes with lots of pockets & options and stayed semi-rigid which made searching for tackle items a breeze. There are a few knock-offs of the Wood River bags out there but I am unfamiliar with who makes them off the top of my head.

There are also plenty of inexpensive bags available at Cabela's or Bass Pro along with surplus bags you can get at an Army & Navy store. The Army surplus bags may give you the ability to try out the concept before spending a lot of dough.

Noticing your mention of getting your vest wet, I will warn you ahead of time that over-the-shoulder bags are NOT the best thing for deep wading!

Here is a link from another website where a few "man purse" aficionados discussed the various merits of a fishing bag:

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/7679

Good luck!

I have a small sling pack for my camera that I really like. It is designed for cameras though. I added a couple side packs for fly boxes and squeeze in other small essentials for fishing when I please.

I like the setup but as always it is not perfect. I do like the way I can swing it around to my back out of the way while hiking/fishing etc. - then swing it to the front when I need something.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

If "sling type pack" means the pack that has a small chest pack in front and a larger storage compartment (sometimes with water bladder) in the back, I've had one and got rid of it. I have the same physical characteristics that you do and the front pack never seemed to be positioned properly. Just my experience, your's may be different.

Dean

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy Jon....
    I too share the same body style... I used vests happily for a couple decades of great fishing, but a couple years ago,I realized I was packin' way too much stuff all the time. And...the vest seemed to be too hot a lot of the time when the weather is warm. I got a chest pack.... didn't like it right in front of me all the time, so I modified it to an over the shoulder, messenger bag style. I really liked that bag, but after a couple years, I found it was too big, and I was still carrying lots of gear I really didn't use. Two years ago, I got a small chest pack type made by Wright-McGill, and modified it the same way.
    It has room for two fly boxes, leader, tippet, nippers, floatant, sinket, small tin of weights or tungsten, matches, a small rool of light nylon cord, leader straghtener, small hemostats, and a folding jacknife. I keep the old larger bag in the truck with about 10# of extra stuff and more fly boxes. It's excellent, light, and out of the way. Bam's right about the strap width. Digging into your shoulder ain't too cool, mine has a wide shoulder pad I added last summer, very comfortable, and adds no noticeable weight. I'd say the whole thing is maybe a pound and a half.Like Pan says, I swing it up and around behind me if it's a problem riding just above my left hip. I also carry a staff at all times, and occasionally a small net. I have a six shooter as well clipped in my waistband at the small of my back, and if I venture too far from the rig, I have a very small fanny pack stuffed with basic first aid gear on my right hip. That's all the weight I want in addition to my rod, and gearing up like this has made me a happier and more comfortable fisherman. I just ordered an even lighter bag of the same type from H&H, for $28. They call it a bag for the minimalist fly fisherman. I think it will be even better, and sureley lighter, as the Wright McGill bag is padded quite a bit, and it really isn't necessary. I've always carried the shooter and staff, even with the vest, and had the first aid stuff in a vest pocket, I've lightened the load about 85% I think. I love it, and love the sling type bag...... Go for it, I think you'l love it as well.... Check Wright McGill's website for a picture of their bag, I think I paid about $45 for it. H&H's is cheaper, I think lighter, already a sling type bag, and ....Ron's a sponsor here, and an excellent guy... ....................Later.......ModocDan

Default Hangs too low

I tried a sling pack, but found that it hangs too low for some of my wading and then I've got a bunch of stuff to dry out at the end of the day.

I went to a chest pack and currently use one by William Joseph. I can adjust the neck strap to allow for deep or shallow wading and I don't seem to have the wet gear problem. Before I get my chest pack wet the water goes over the top of my waders!

Just a thought. Check out the new magnetic closure chest packs from William Joseph at one of your local fly fishing retailers. They are realy slick and I can't wait to wear out my current version in order to try out one of the new ones.

Good Luck!
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I'm a bag junkie. I love them. I think it's part of a desire to be organized (yet I never seem to achieve organization...hmmm...).

I fish mostly from shore, wading or from a kayak. Until recently I haven't found a bag that would appear to solve all three.

I've tried vests but I carry too much. I've tried waist packs but they don't work for wading. I've tried backpacks but they're not convenient. I've tried should & sling bags but haven't found one I like and again they can be a problem when wading.

The ones I've had the most success with are:

TALS fishing system - Combination of tubes and a pack. Chest pack worked well enough but it was a bit confusing to adjust. Once it was adjust it was comfortable though. I liked it well enough that I wore it out (lots of saltwater).

William Joseph "Flats Lite" - Bought this when it came out and it's pretty close to what I want. It's a fanny pack that can be removed from the belt and then worn as a chest pack. It's small (which on longer trips can be a problem) and can be positioned so it's not annoying. Also the belt can have other things (h20 bottle holder, tools, etc) clipped to it. Not sure what the model they make today is called.

William Joseph "Creel" - I wanted this for a long time and finally picked it up on clearance. Overall I like it but I haven't dialed it in yet. Not sure if I will since I also have the issue with my feet and seeing them.

Plano kayak fishing pack - It's hard to find online, I have one link but not sure if it's within board guidelines to post. But if you do a search on "kayak vest" plano it should show up. I bought it recently on an impulse and tried it out this week. I like it. For kayaking (and wading) it sits high enough that everything stays dry. The compartments give you decent storage without being too bulky. I paddled all day, cast spinning & fly rods, and never noticed it getting in the way. It was easy to use and comfortable.

From a kayaking standpoint it has a great design feature in that the side straps unclip and I can rotate the bag around my shoulders. If I can find a hydration bladder to fit in the back (it's a square shape) then I think I'll be all set. Bear in mind this is based off of a single trip though. I'll hopefully be giving it a workout on a shore/wading trip shortly.

Oh, and boo to the poster who put up the link to those surplus bags! I'm ordering three different ones to try them out.

8. Default

Carrying a net seems problematic with sling type packs. I never could figue out how to do it with the WJ Creel. The guys with traditional shoulder bags tend to attach the net handle on the strap just above the bag. So, the mouth of the net dangles in the water, tangles with the fly line, and catches moss.

Just something to think about if you use a net.

Thanks all for the info. I am rereading the entire thread and looking at all the links provided. I like the haversack(GI issue) idea for a starter bag. Now guess Ill have to make sure one will match my belt and shoes.....just kidden
    Jon Joy

"A jerk at one end of the line is enough."

Member Ozark Fly Fishers http://www.ozarkflyfishers.org/

I have used an Orvis sling pack for 3 complete seasons now. I love it and highly recommend it.

You can swing it completely behind your back, to your side or in front of you depending on what you want to do. It holds enough for a full day's fishing. I especially prefer it to a vest in hot weather because more air gets to you and cools you. It holds lunch, a water bottle, several fly boxes and assorted leaders, floatant, etc. There are plenty of little grommets and stuff for attaching zingers, forceps and the like.

Some down sides: You mention wading deep - while the pack is adjustable and you can make it 'ride high' - I usually forget to do that and it gets wet (dries quickly though). It will not hold tons of gear like a vest which may actually be an advantage as I rarely need what I pack.

Have fun.

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread