+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rio Nymph Line

Default Rio Nymph Line

I'm thinking about buying this line and was just wondering if anyone here has tried it? Is it any different than a reg DT to WF line when nymphing? Does it give you an advantage over reg flylines?

Blog Entries

Smile Rio Nymphing Lines

I have been using the Rio Nymphing lines for several years now and have no complaints. It has enough weight in the forward section to take care of the extra weight of a strike indicator, split shot, double nymph fly set up. I use the Camo colored, darker green than the light green. I use a 7 weight line on my 11 foot 6 weight Sage XP & Z-Axis and a 6 weight line for my 9 foot Sage rod.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Its the way to go if you do alot of nymphing. A bum of a fisherman such as myself can throw biiiiiigg mends in it.

I have it on one of my 4 wts and like it. The two tone line is a nice idea and it casts well for me. I would buy it again.

Thanks guys for replying. One more quick question. I'm nymphing 99% of the time but if for some reason I wan't to fish a dry will the nymph line handle that as well for emergency dryfly action?

Aw sure. It is a WF#F line. That means it will float. I presume you want it to float for a dry fly? Here is the line; http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=8

It'll work.

All of these specific lines are interesting indeed. What makes this line is the very high floatation, and the way that the weight forward portion of the line is weighted to throw heavier flies, but the real thing about this line is that is has that hi-vis tip section which is suppose to be a built in indicator. I'm a 95% sub surface guy too and fish only 5% of the time in the film or viscous or on the top. Works fine. If you wanted to throw a whole bunch of itty bitty dry flies a double taper might suit your needs better but this works.

Without mentioning an specifics, this is a great time of year to buy line. Many can be had a 1/2 of retail so shop around for prices. I just bought a $69 retail line for $27 so great deals are available. Good luck.

I just got this line, its great. It works exactly like it should and shoots very nice from the guides when making longer casts.

When buying from the store, make sure you get the newest line. You can tell by the boxes, look for the new one you see on their website. When i went to Cabela's they had the new and old nymphing lines. The new one has a better slick coating i believe.

+ Reply to Thread