+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Couple questions about YOUR Orvis Helios

Default Couple questions about YOUR Orvis Helios

Just received my Christmas Gift, an 8.5' 4 wgt Helios...beautiful rod.
    Last edited by cpholley; 03-04-2010 at 03:58 AM.

You are in for a treat - you're going to love that rod!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cpholley View Post
    Which Reel do you guys have on your Helios? (and what wgt is your rod?) I've heard the feel of this rod greatly depends on the reel and the weight of that reel.
    I have an 8'6" 5 wt. Right now, I have a CFO III on it, but have a Tibor Tailwater on order. Nothing wrong with the CFO, I just like the Tibor reel better. The Tibor is 0.6 oz heavier. I don't really notice a difference between the reels when casting. Can't tell you anything else about that subject.

Do the "dots" that you use to line up the pieces actually fit closely together? I assembled the rod in my house, haven't been able to take it outside for a cast (cold front and all) but have noticed the dots on each ferrule don't actually come together...they fit about an inch apart from eachother, just wondering if this is normal.
    Yep, this is normal! Don't try to force them closer! They are called spigot ferrules. I am not a rod builder, so there is probably a lot more to this, but the energy transfer between rod sections is supposed to be smoother with this type of ferrule.

Just received my Christmas Gift, an 8.5' 4 wgt Helios...beautiful rod.

- Which Reel do you guys have on your Helios? (and what wgt is your rod?)
    I've heard the feel of this rod greatly depends on the reel and the weight of that reel.

- Do the "dots" that you use to line up the pieces actually fit closely together?
    I assembled the rod in my house, haven't been able to take it outside for a cast (cold front and all) but have noticed the dots on each ferrule don't actually come together...they fit about an inch apart from eachother, just wondering if this is normal. Thanks!!

Best,
    Casey
    I would check but I would say yes. (that they don't come close together) I think some wiggle room is built in for wear over the years and the dots will get closer to one another over time. Just a thought, don't know for sure. I have a 7wgt Orvis Silver label that aligns like that and it works fine. BTW, congrats on the new rod, and many good trips.
    Last edited by BobC; 01-18-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add a little
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

I have a Ross CLA 4 on my 8 wt. helios. I also use an Orvis Battenkill large arbor 4. Haven't heard the reel makes a difference in the rods casting. To me it's normal for the dots to fit apart. That allows for wear over time. It is a good thing. Great rod, I wish they would put a hook keeper on them. I really like my helios. Orvis did good here!

Bob

Yup, normal. The dots do not come together and rue the day they do for your rod will fly apart while casting. Some folks just absolutely hate the looks of those 'spigot' ferrules. Few who do though will admit it. Plain ugly in my opinion. Makes it look like it just isn't made right or assembled correctly. Orvis thinks they are beautiful. I prefer the tip-over-butt ferrules. Yes, some guys have sanded them down so they come almost together they hated them so much. Dangerous practice.

I have a Helios 5 weight...really love it. As the other folks have commented, the dots are not meant to be close together. They're just there to help you align the rod sections. As far as how tight the sections should be, just follow the instructions that should have been included with your rod. You should also have received a container of ferrule wax along with the rod. Use it. This stuff will help maintain a snug connection as well as it helps facillitate disassembly. If you're missing either of these items just contact Orvis and they'll take care of you. My experience with them has always been very good.

+ Reply to Thread