+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Steamboat Springs?

Default Steamboat Springs?

Will be there the end of February to ski. I realize snow coverage(or stream frozen up) will make getting to a stream a problem but what about fishing the Yampa from town? Any access?
    Will be staying at Rabbit Ears motel.
    May want to fish early mornings or late evenings/night.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-14-2009 at 07:19 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

BBW, what days?? I work twelve hr shifts and get days off all over the week. Steam Boat is only a little over 2 hours from me so if possible, I could meet for a day.

Will look up the name of the flyshop I visited and see if they are on line and get back to you.
    Wyo-Blizzard

I have fished it once. It is all barbless and catch and release, but access is abundant. When I there, you could tell when the hatches were occuring by all the fly fishermen running that direction.

Several years ago, when I fished it, there were pike in the river. They were fun to catch, but you were required to keep them (you were not allowed to throw them back). Check and see if they are still there. If so, take some streamers and a 6 to 8wt.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfly View Post
    I have fished it once. It is all barbless and catch and release, but access is abundant. When I there, you could tell when the hatches were occuring by all the fly fishermen running that direction.

Several years ago, when I fished it, there were pike in the river. They were fun to catch, but you were required to keep them (you were not allowed to throw them back). Check and see if they are still there. If so, take some streamers and a 6 to 8wt.
    Funny you should mention the pike. From what I hear(2nd hand info) the pike got in the river after a flood from another river(lake) and they have thrived in there ever since......seems trout are pretty tasty to them
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Zuehlsdorff View Post
    BBW, what days?? I work twelve hr shifts and get days off all over the week. Steam Boat is only a little over 2 hours from me so if possible, I could meet for a day.

Will look up the name of the flyshop I visited and see if they are on line and get back to you.
    Feb 27th, 28th, March 1, 2. Our main focus will be skiing so I wouldn't be too reliable about times but I'd love to meet up with you. Thanks!
    Can you get a license from outfitters there or does it have to come from a state-run agency?
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 01-14-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Wouldn't you know, my weekend to work!!
    But, here are a couple of guide/flyshop sights, buckingrainbow.com, and
    StraightLineSports.com. Both sights mention year round fishing, so good luck, watch out for the big bumps, and tight lines!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Thanks for the info and the offer. If you get off that weekend, let me know.

8. Default

The section of the Yampa under Stagecoach Res. will be open! Not far from town at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Can you get a license from outfitters there or does it have to come from a state-run agency?
    Most fly shops and sporting goods stores can sell you a Colo state fishing license. You can also buy one online at http://https://www4.wildlifelicense.com/co/start.php. Works pretty good. They give you an instant confirmation number that is all you need to have on you if stopped.

+ Reply to Thread