+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs?

Question Colorado Springs?

Hey Gang,
    I just found out that I'll be working in Colorado Springs in April and May. I am not real sure how much time I'll have to fish but, I may try. My question is... Is there somewhere close by to do some good trout fishing?? And if there is what weight rod do I need to fish them? I have a 9' 5wt Z-Axis. I am supposed to be working on some type of power generation facility somewhere near there water blasting some pinstocks. Maybe below where I'm going to be might be the place I need to fish.

Thanks,

Rich

Nobody??

I thought with all the vast knowledge on here I would have been overwhelmed with choices. I guess I need to find a forum specific to that area.

I would recommend calling "South Platte Outfitters"in Deckers, CO. www.southeplatteoutfitters.com They also run "Flies and Lies" fly shop. When I was in the area a while back the folks there were very helpful.

Deckers is located about a 1 hour drive from Colorado Springs and is right on the SOuth Platte River.

Blog Entries

You can also do a query of past threads "flyfishing in Colorado" as there are several extensive threads here in the archives. Also google the same and you will get a ton of info from several websites based in Colorado.

Right up the road is the "dream stream" tailwater between Spinney and Eleven Mile reservoirs. Your z-axis will be perfect there, and take some midges and Baetis in size 20-24. That timeframe is Caddis time on the Arkansas, a few more miles southwest. Arkanglers in Salida can tell you about what to bring for that.

Your rod should be fine out there.

My call would be 11 mile canyon / south platte - last time I fished there I saw only one other angler all day - a wonderful day of fishing!

For a local shop, the guys that I always turn to out there are "Angler's Covey" http://www.anglerscovey.com/ They've always treated me right and can steer you in the right direction based on local conditions - can also cover license and, if you want, a guide.
    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. ~ Mark Twain

Hey Guys,
    Thanks, I knew I could count on you all. When I find out where exactly near there I'm going then I'll call some of these fly shops and possibly some guide services.

Rich

Default Co Spgs

As the time gets nearer, go to WWW.Coloradofishing.net for a complete run down on streams, lakes, wter flows, flies and lots of contacts. The spprings is right in the center of lots of great fishing!
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I just found out it will be at a reservoir near Pueblo CO.
    Now I can start doing a little scouting in the internet.

Rich

10. Default

Pueblo Res. is on the Arkansas river. Good trout water. You will be close to a LOT of amazing water including the aforementioned South Platte.

Check out coloradofisherman.com. Tremendous resource with lots of very helpful folks! There is a search function on the board with literally hours of info. Type in "Pueblo" and "river"......might be a good start! Don't be afraid to ask for tips!

Good luck!

Jason

+ Reply to Thread