+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: castwell knot

Default castwell knot

i was out fishing and had to tie a line to leader knot . after several unsuccessful attempts my patience was shot and then i remembered . the castwell knot . i was very sceptical about this knot but my arthritic fingers were just not getting the job done so i went for it . fished all day 5 catches and 5 releases later the knot held like a vise . hats off to you j. c. thank you for making it simple.

------------------

wirebender;
    we must all remember that JC is the Grand Poo Bah!! The all knowing, all seeing leader of this rag tag pack of lost flyfishers!! May He Poo Bah forever!! Or at least reguraly!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

Blog Entries

Jack what do you mean calling us a Rag tag pack of lost flyfishers !! the very nerve of you to call us a ......umm...errr....just a minute .... heck now that I think about it you are right on the money . Your Right about JC too.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Someone once said ( of course NOT to me, "Your eloquence is surpassed ONLY by the BS it conveys". And the recipient of this praise said "thank you".

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Wirebender I too have probs with my hands and fingers....that Castwell knot is sure ez on ol' arthritic fingers....add cold to these same fingers.....yahooee....now try to tie a nail knot....lol.....

mojo likes simple

I had the opposite day today. I hooked a 20" Brown. It jumped, it ran, it jumped again. As I was bringing it closer the tippet seperated from the leader. It was the fist fish on this new piece of 6x fluro. Oh so close and yet sooo far. Then I set up again and two casts later my loop at the end of my fly line came off with leader, tippet and fly. It was one of those chineese finger ones and I never lost one of those before. Frustrating to say the least. I left the water about 10 minutes early and went to work. Not enough time to bother tying on a new leader, tippet, fly etc. And all the while that big brown was laughing at me.

jed

James,
    One thing you get used to on FF boards when you have the temerity to propose something like this, is that someone is bound to jump in to put the record straight with "What, that old.... (fly, technique, knot, etc). Hah! I've been using that since I was in diapers."

Well, in this case, while maybe not quite THAT early in my angling career, it was the first knot to leader connection I learned from my dad, who learned it from his dad. Old Jack Wyatt was from Yorkshire in the north of England, and that's the way he learned to joined the fly line to a leader loop, undoubtedly from his daddy.

It's a well known variation on the simple sheet bend that the old trout and salmon boys used for silk line to gut. I've seen it in an old book of knots, and if I can find the book I'll post the old name for the knot. I think Chaytor referred to it as a "half-hitch" in Letters to a Salmon Fisher's Sons, although we know that knot differently.

Your legacy to the angling world will stand on its other considerable accomplishments.

[This message has been edited by Wyatt (edited 07 November 2005).]

Dang! Now ya gone and made me want to search that knot up on here!

Shoot! Searched Castwell's knot and 339 Click-ons came up!

Try Flyfishing Basics on the menu, then KNOTS

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

+ Reply to Thread