+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rio Nymph Fly Line??

Default Rio Nymph Fly Line??

Hey

I was wondering if anyone here uses this line and can give me a "yay" or "ney" on it?

Im looking for new line for my nymphing rig and was thinking about this. How does the loop at the end hold up and does it float well? I primarily czech nymph but at times i need to lay out some line so i want a decent fly line.

Thanks,
    Tom

Hi Tom, IMHO you cant beat Rio fly lines, I use the Rio Grand for Nymphing as it suits the Tongariro style better than the Rio Nymph. A couple of my mates however do use the Rio Nymph and they love it, it floats well, the loop is good and easy to spot even at distance but does not seem to spook the trout.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike.

Default I like it.

I've fished mine to the end of its life and then some (still have it on). I like it - it casts bigger flies well and makes it easy to go indicatorless when needed. I am going to pick up another spool's worth shortly. I couldn't tell you specifics about it using the casting/industry lingo, but I can tell you I like and am buying it again.

Thanks guys. Ill probably be getting a spool of 5wt tomorrow!

Blog Entries

I believe the only difference between the Nymph and the Grand is the indicator tip.

Default rio nymph taper

the rio nymph line is the BEST nymph line hands down. I have it on three rods 9'6" 5wt. 10' 4wt. and 9'6" 8wt and it is by far the best line for nymph fishing. wether it is czech, spanish nymphing or plane old indicator fishing it rules. It floats much higher than the SA line and the loop it small enough as hindge and effect the cast. The indicator tip is also a real nice touch espec. for czech style nymphing. I like the agressive head which turns over heavy weight and flies easily. can you tell I like them.

Steve

The nymph has got a longer head than the grand does (60 feet vs. 38 feet). For fishing short lines it doesn't matter but if you need to fish out a longer line the longer head helps.

Default Rio Nymph

It's all I use. I get a longer life out of these lines than any other line I have tried. They also float higher and longer than anything else I have tried. I have 6 of them ranging in age from 1-3 years. I probably buy three new ones every other year and that is enough to keep all my rigs set. I'm guiding alot... they get used and abused. Cleaning and treating them every 2-3 months is about all it takes.

Phil

I just got the 5wt nymph line today, i cant wait to fish it.

I have a question. This line as with most new lines has some decent curl to it since its been in the package for awhile. Whats the best way to get the line nice and strait. Ive laid out like 30' at a time and lightly pulled it through my fingers to straiten in. Is their a better way?

Thanks Guys!

+ Reply to Thread