+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took my "pimped" Medalist fishing...

Hey Moose,
    What model Pflueger is that reel? I have a hard time finding Pfluegers with the round line guard that are set up for left hand wind.
    Lonnie
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

Lonnie,

I think your question is directed at me since the picture is the one I sent in. The reel is a vintage Medalist 1494 that I purchased from E-Bay. They were set up for right hand retrieve but can be converted to left hand wind. The factory drag plate has 8 indents on one side and only 4 on the other side and when you flip it over to convert from right hand retrieve to left hand the retrieve is not as smooth as it was due to the side with only 4 indents now coming into play. They do not come from the factory with the round line guard. One-Pfoot makes all the parts to convert the 1494 to a really smooth reel. They make a drag plate that has 8 indents on both sides so it is just as smooth right hand retrieve or left hand retrieve. They also can install the round line guard. I sent them the reel and had it reworked with their new parts and accesories or "pimped". I really like the work done and the reel.

I noticed on E-Bay that there is another vintage Pflueger reel up for sale that came with the round line guard from the factory and it is up to $80 the last time I looked! Not sure what model it was that came out with the round line guard.
    Last edited by WarrenP; 01-05-2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added comment
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hi Warren,
    Ya, I see I directed my inquiry to the wrong person...sorry 'bout that. Anyway, I'm familiar with one pfoot but did not know they could add the round line guard. I'll have to look at their website more carefully. It's a great looking reel. I'm a big fan of vintage American made reels and I love to see folks still using them. I am just spooling up a Pflueger Progress from my generation (the 1960's) that has never been fished and it will go on my 4wt bamboo. Grampa's old Sal-Trout is going on my 5wt bamboo.
    Lonnie
    Last edited by montana boy; 01-05-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Speak yer mind but ride a fast horse!

Last edited by ducksterman; 01-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.

+ Reply to Thread