+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TFO Pro ?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
    My 7'6" TFO Pro 3WT is 24.25". I have it in a 28" triangular TFO Cordura Rod Case and the sock comes just to the bottom of the zipper with the cap being above.
    As to roll casting...It is a little wimpy roll casting a WF 3wt. I actually have uplined to a 4WT Double taper and really like the result. The upline does put a bit more load into the rod... but I use it for small streams mostly and at distances under 30 feet the rod does guite well with the DT both in roll and backcast. I use the rod quite a bit on the stockers at our tailwater and have no problem with either line from 30-40-even 50 feet.
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks mate, that definitely helps.

Do you think the uplining or the change to double-taper makes more of a difference in the quality of roll-casting? I'm guessing the heavier line, I'm not sure why a double-taper vs weight forward would make a huge difference?

Cool Hmmmm...

Not sure...the DT Roll Casts much better IMHO at all line sizes, you know your not dealing with trying to aerialize the back taper of the WF line. I also think the front taper of the DT is a little shorter as well.

The effect on the rod is a little more noticable with the heavier line...it loads much deeper down the rod and you "feel" it more. There are probably others here more qualified to answer this...but as I cast this 4wt dt feeling the weight in the rod helps me push (for lack of a better term) the roll cast loop farther out front.

I probably have seriously confused the issue but that is kinda the way it feels to me. Perhaps a casting pro (or a MIT Physics Professor) can put this in the proper terms... sorry...it's the best I got

You have a ton of advice here and many like the TFO. Let me just say that I have the pro in a 8wt 9' rod and like it very much. I also have the Ti rod in 4 wt. I have another Pro on the way in a 2wt 8' rod. The Pro cast very well and with a good line some good distance can be acheaved. TFO has also replaced a rod for me that was purchased with a defect, this in a matter of days after I called them on the matter. A top rate company to deal with.
    Tight loops - Grant

i can only reiterate the cudos of the TFO pro rods. i have a 3 & 5wt i bought for travel rods out west and did i make a good decision. since the 3wt has become my go to rod for the PA stockers i mainly fish for on med to med-small streams here. the 5wt was great on the larger waters i faced out west, the spokane, deschutes, north platte rivers. i broke the 3 wt last spring and had a new rod in 2 weeks. i also broke a scott asa that took about 4 weeks to replace the tip, not complaining about the difference but the scott people actually built me a new tip section based on the original specs they keep.

5. Default

A heads-up for anyone who's interested

Cabela's has a 7-day sale going on right now, with the TFO Pro 5wt, 9ft, 4pc on sale. ($129 instead of $159)

Quote Originally Posted by 8wt View Post
    Have a 4wt pro. Like it a lot. Also,, broke tip one time, returned and had a new one in one week. Cost $25, but better than a whole new rod.
    Me too.
    This was actually the first rod I used that I actually "felt" working in my hand.
    Gary

+ Reply to Thread