+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: wings on adams flies

7X, thanks. It was a fantastic period in my life. I was indeed blessed to have had that association. To be involved with editing his Ring of the Rise was priceless and my highest honor. That my opinion was even noted by a man of his stature, let alone given consideration, was beyond belief.

Wink Go to its' creator's recipe when you can !!!

Well, you go to the creator who originally tied the fly. The Adams Dry you would go Len Halliday's recipe and how he tied it (whatever historical documentation or writings there may be).
    Where you get into historical trouble is if you don't know historically who or how the fly was originally tied.
    In Arizona, the Arizona Peacock Lady is an example. Who created it ????? Dunno !!!!
    We can speculate maybe someone up in the Arizona White Mountains.
    How was it originally tied ??? Now that is merky, and there are many versions. We at least know that if you stick a red tail on it, you can call it a Peacock Whore. Then you get into an argument....well....what kind of tail....Amherst..... Red Hackle......what.
    I think it is honorable to stick to historical accuracy as closely as possible if it can be stuck to, even in a name.
    In this case, we only have what has been handed down by word of mouth (even though there are some recipes or written versions from word of mouth).
    Even stories told throughout the ages by tribal elders can change.
    It would seem rather scary when there are historical writings and records on a certain
    subject, but still no agreement. But such is history itself. History, with all its' records, documents, writings, etc. Debate and disagreement from the beginning of time.
    Debate is good. This is one of the many important foundations of education. Buddy discusses this from the artists standpoint. I understand this very well as a music teacher, performer, historian, and conductor (& quasi composer lol). I aim to be historically accurate in all I teach, perform, conduct, etc. We owe it to our art. Fly tying likewise is an art.
    AK (Archie Best)dubbed the Adams as the most versatile Dry Fly ever invented.
    That is certainly true. How we tie it comes down to personal taste. For certain, the fish are the final judge. How honorable do you want to be to a name, or to historical accuracy if indeed there is enough of a record to help you in that historical accuracy ??? Well, I guess that is between you and your Creator despite whoever in this world may disagree with you in all that you do or say. Then you may ask yourself if it uplifted or enlightened,
    or did it tear down and destroy ???
    I can only answer for myself, not for anyone else.
    Last edited by MR.JML; 01-02-2009 at 10:57 AM.

Normand Guest

See,

Told ya'.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    This Discussion is why Scientists use Genus and species when discussing anything living. Saves a lot of problems.

<snip>
    Trying to get away from the strife

Eric
    Sadly, that just proves the point about language's high degree of variability. Many species are known by more than one Latin (scientific/binomial/etc...) name. These names can change quite a bit. (I'm still not completely over the Great Bean Species Massacre of the '80s. Alas for Phaseolus aureus!). Then there is the Turkey Oak debate...

Nice thoughts though, Eric. I wish you a year of peace.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread