+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to go South...

Default I want to go South...

...but I'm not sure how far I need to travel to get where I can comfortably fish for bluegills in a light jacket/sweatshirt. I've been watching Sir Hise' weather, but it doesn't hold any special magic this time of the year.

How far do I have to go, and when I get there will there be anyone with some time to go fishing with me? Probably will travel alone since everyone else up North is either working, broke, or unwilling to leave the confines of their warm homes. I am my own best friend, and get along well with myself, so you don't have to be concerned that I'll fight with myself.

Gotta go eat some hog (supposed to be good luck. We'll see about that...) at my brother's house. Dried out (overcooked) pork tenderloin, pasty gravy, tasteless corn and no salt in the smashed potatoes. His lovely wife doesn't understand about using seasonings, as she's a vegan and wants the rest of us carnivores to convert. Thank God he's got booze and a pile of shrimp on the table.

Later!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Happy New Year Joe! Just thought I'd bring an oversight to your attention. There is no post (with pictures) about the fresh baked goods being prepared for today in the kitchen of the DoughGod.

Default not here...

You have to go futher than here if you want warmth and blue gills.
    I feel your pain . I am taking it to the other extreme and going to northern Minn to get some chilled blue gill on ice. Southern Mo aint lookng to good at this point either.
    My Dad snow birds to Florida (spending my hard earned inheritnace I might add) every year for a few months to find some warm weather (did I mention he lives in uppermost Vermont?) so that may be an idea for you .
    The ponds around here have been adding up to big fat zeros for me for a good while.
    Best wishes in your quest .

Perch

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage Angler View Post
    Happy New Year Joe! Just thought I'd bring an oversight to your attention. There is no post (with pictures) about the fresh baked goods being prepared for today in the kitchen of the DoughGod.
    I have not been very creative during the holiday season, but have been baking in volume for various functions both at home and away. I did make a round Epi loaf (sheath of wheat) of French sourdough that presents well and is interesting in that you can break off individual chunks of bread like rolls.

Of course, the ubiquitous sandwich rolls have been baked frequently. I found a 3/4 sheet baking pan at a local restaurant supply that allows for baking a full recipe of 20 rolls or a double recipe of 4 loaves of Italian bread.

I've also been experimenting with refrigerate, high hydration sourdough bread dough. I've been making pizza and dinner rolls, as well as 1# round loaves. I'm still undergoing testing, so I've not shared this with many people. It all centers on a book called Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day.

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I've also made a few loaves of pumpernickel for spinach dips...

...and several loaves of Challah Bread.

There you have it. I've been busy with the baking as well as fitting in work and getting ready for the expo on January 10th. Hope this give you the "fix" with my bread baking. Oh, I've also have been converting my website from fly fishing to a recipe archive. www.flyfishohio.us

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thumbs up

Thanks Joe - you did not disappoint me! That is some OUTSTANDING work. I can almost smell the aromas. You must drive your neighbors crazy with the wonderful smells coming from your kitchen. Carry on, soldier.

Exclamation What Happened

Hello Joe
    As I salivated onto my keyboard while looking at your pictures of baked goods I counted the rolls on the sheet pan. You stated there were 20 but I only counted 19? Did it even make it to the counter before being gobbled up? Hee, hee. LOL
    Are you of a mind to share your recipe for pepperoni bread? Have to go dry my keyboard of all the drool now. Happy New Year !!!
    Bernie

P.S. I assume you have partaken of a plate of homemade peiorgi (sp)sauteed in butter and topped with sour cream?
    Last edited by farleycat; 01-02-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Wink Come out to Arizona !!!

Come out to Arizona Joe. You can fish for anything including trout in shirt sleeves.
    Maybe a jacket up on Mount Lemmon (and a bitsy colder up in the White Mountains).
    It was mid 70's down here in Tucson today. Even nice up on Mount Lemmon (20 miles up); great day to fish !!! Guess that's why what they call "Snow Birds" flock down here for the Winter !!!!!

There's plenty of room in NM. I wore shorts today! It sucks. I wish we had it cold here. I've never fished for 'gills though, so I can't point you to any waters!

I'll second the 'come to Arizona' thing.

Friend fished Saguaro Lake today (he's up in the Phoenix metro area) and he caught LOTS of bluegills and small bass. Told me they put over fifty in the boat, and he's not one to exagerate.

I haven't had time to fish much lately, but the stocked trout in the urban lakes are usually easy, and the bluegills and bass in the 'reservoirs' around here are usually biting when the weather is warm.

And, as Mr. JML pointed out, it was 70 degrees today here in Tuscon....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread