+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Knot? another dumb rookie question

Question Blood Knot? another dumb rookie question

Anybody ever use a blood knot for attaching the backing to the fly line? Ken was kind enough to give me some backing, the reel I have doesn't have any on it and I was going to try to put it on this morning. I studied the knots in the archives, and have practiced the blood knot and I feel pretty good about using it, but the albright and nail knots elude me.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

Oh, and Happy New Year!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Question Cast Well

Jason -

Can't help you on the basic question regarding a blood knot. But since you seem to be looking at alternatives, I thought I would suggest the Castwell Knot.

I put a new fly line on one of my reels yesterday. Since I started using the Castwell Knot a couple months ago I've been really pleased with it. So I wondered how it would do attaching the new line to the backing. Already had a loop in the end of the backing, so I attached the fly line with the C. K.

It is very simple, and seems very secure. Now, hopefully, I'll catch a really big brown that will finally get me to my backing and I'll find out just how good, or bad, that idea was !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure if you CAN properly tie a blood knot using backing and fly line? I would think the difference in line diameter would be a headache. Would it hold??? Probably. Could you tie it?? Never tried. Do yourself a favor and try to learn either the Albright or Nail knot. A little trick with the nail knot.....use a piece of a ball-point pen ink tube (obviously, without the ink ) to feed the backing thru. Works for me. Leave the blood knot for tippets. Glad to help with the backing and line. Happy New Year to you, too.

Ken
    "Fly fishing is the most fun you can have standing up" Arnold Gingrich

Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s40lmqVux4E

The blue line is the fly line

The ballpoint pen refill tube is a good idea. I've found that the red tube spout from a can of WD40 works really well too. It's a smaller diameter, and I have less of a tendency to get a lumpy knot when I'm done. I carry one in my bugger box so it's always handy.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Smile Success!!!

Thanks alot guys, I got the albright knot tied. I didn't have a loop to tie too so the Castwell knot was out, I hope it works for you John, I was worried about the different diameters too Ken. okflyfisher, I never would have made it without that link. The archive knots are great, but the man talking it through on that link was a BIG help to me.

Thanks,
    Jason
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I would recommend the nail knot for attaching the backing. It is not that difficult to learn. All you need material wise is a drink stirring tube or straw, and look at the directions and practice a couple. Great knot for that application.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Question tag end?

JC

What happens to the tag end of the backing at the very end? It is sticking out, then it is gone. Did it get cut off? It sort of looks like it was stuck back in the knot somehow in the next frame, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,
    Jason

Hate to say it folks but I use the blood knot for attaching the backing to line. I tie it free hand and it works very well. It makes a small knot and has worked for me for years. It is the first knot I learned in fly fishing so I use it for a lot of things. I know I am a idiot.

+ Reply to Thread