+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO Pro ?

Default TFO Pro ?

I'm looking to buy an 8wt. rod, mostly for bass fishing, and have been looking in the catalogs and the internet for ideas. Right now I'm thinking about a TFO Professional, which falls into my price range. It's available in a 4 piece in either 9 ft. or 9 1/2 ft. I'll probably go up to Cabela's because that's closer than most other shops to make the purchase. But before I do, I thought I'd see what others thought of the rod. I know I can always trust the people here to give me honest and helpful feedback/ideas.

Have any of you used any of the TFO rods? If so, how do you like them?

What should I pair up with it as a reel? I know Cabela's has a couple of outfits available, but I'm also willing to look at other ideas.

If not a TFO, what other rod in the same price range would you recommend?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

CJ

TFO are dandy rods, for sure. Sage makes three especially for bass. You might take a peek at them too.

I have the 5wt TFO Pro and it performs well. It's matched to their reel, but any reel should be fine. For the money, an STH MR POP3 would do a nice job, but any reel with a disc drag would be fine. The STH comes with an extra cassette so you can have a different line to change out at a moments notice. Plus, it has a limited lifetime warranty. Just depends on how much you want to spend.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

The TFO Pro series rods are very nice for the $ with a pleasant moderate fast action. They are very popular here for bass and saltwater work and most people that I know that have the 8wt are very pleased, many having purchased a second one.

Since you stated an intention to go to the nearby Cabela's store, I will limit my other suggestions to items in their catalog.

Other rods of similar price range at the store you prefer to shop at that are also nice are the Redington Red.Fly2 and St. Croix Imperial.

As for reels, you won't need something with a drag to stop bonito or other fast fish, so just find a reel that fits your budget. An inexpensive option would be the Cabela's Three Forks, which seems to be the same as the Redington Crosswater reel. This reel is made from a graphite composite material but is very solid and has a nice drag. One of my local fishing partners uses them in the ocean here. The Ross FlyStart is a good value too. At the $100 price point, the G. Loomis Venture 7 is a pretty good reel and one of our local shops sells a lot of these for freshwater usage.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Used a TFO pro 9wt 4Pc. on Striped Bass for about 5Yrs. As described mod/fast action and powered a #2 hooked fly with no problems. Caught quite a few stripers on it too. I only sold the rod because I built a custom rod on a blank I liked a little better. The TFO pro I'd say in 8wt for what your looking to do, would be a good choice.

I have the Pro in a 7wt and a 9wt -- like 'em both. For comparison purposes, check out an Echo.

I have a TFO 4weight, 4 piece, 9 footer. I can't think of a single thing about that rod that I don't like. It does all it says it will do. When I first started casting it my loops instantly got tighter. I always use a furled leader and the combination turns the fly over great. I accidentally took a reel with me one time that was loaded with a 5 weight line, and the rod handled it just fine.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have always kinda dissed TFO rods in the past. However, recently I bought a TiCr-X 8wt for a backup rod. The rod has nice oversized stripping guides and decent cork. I rigged it up with a Lamson reel and Rio Clouser line and took it to the lawn for a workout.
    WOW! This rod may shoot my "go-to" smallmouth bassin rod out of the saddle!
    I'm not that great of a caster but I was able to zip all the line plus a little of the backing thru the guides with a dbl haul. The rod will throw some VERY tight loops and has enough power to throw a full-grown chicken I think! I'm very pleased with the rod, especially when I consider the price I paid for it. I've got rods that cost almost twice or more than this rod that don't cast near as well. I'll give TFO a consideration on any of my rod purchases from now on!
    Mark 1:17

Thumbs up 8 WT Pro...yum...yum

Have had an 8wt Pro for Two years now and highly recommend it. It has served me quite well on the local bass lakes performing like a champ. I use both floatin and sink tip with no problems.
    I also have gladly report that it has handled inshore salt fishing as well. Nice backbone has landed some hefty Red's n specs in south Louisiana and one really wicked Jack C in Destin... Teamed mine with a Pflueger Trion, which curiously will exchange spools with an Orvis Battenkill Mid-Arbor owned by my fishing buddy hmmmm bery interesting.

If you can't tell I'm a fan of the 8WT TFO Pro I have it in a 7'6" #wt too for those pretty rainbow colored minnows we find every once in a while slightly to the north.
    Last edited by Plunker; 12-28-2008 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Add extra information

Looks like we are getting some real solid honest answers here. I like that. Thank you all.

+ Reply to Thread