+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishable hopper

Default Fishable hopper

Hello,
    I have been asked to tye a hopper step by step, to be published at Danica Spanish magazine. This is the second try. Hope you like it.

Happy New Year!

Andres T.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Thumbs up nice fly

it looks like you took a grasshopper put it on the hook and coated it with lacquer.

nice fly

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Dude there is a fine line between Fly Tying and Bug Building! I think you've crossed the line!! Great job!!!

What Eric and Ray said!

They beat me to it.

Cool looking bug. May I ask how long it takes you tie it?

BobbyG
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Hello Eric, Ray, Bobbyg. Thank you for your words!
    I call it V hopper. It is relatively easy to tie; as I told at the beginning this is my second try, and it took me between 30?-45?. The part that takes more time are legs. But once you have them, they are very easy to tie.
    Apart from the general appearence I worked a lot to obtain flexible legs. Trouts will not find any hard or stiff part but the hook - too late in that case.

Andres T.

thats insane! I have a hard time tying up one regular let alone realistic!
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

Thumbs up Totally Sick !!!!!

Andres,
    That is one totally sick looking pattern !!! You're da man & congrats on this Hopper getting published !!!

MR.JML (Alpinefly)

Hello fishaholic,
    I am quite sure it is insane, but not hard time...perhaps a long happy time, LOL. Now I can tie it in 30-45 minutes but I have spent about two years thinking about legs and general figure.
    Speaking about hopper silhouette, or any other bug, there are four concepts of imitation: suggestive, impressionistic, realistic and exact. Four concepts and four preferences for a fisherman to decide. Nobody can deny that a traditional fly, a suggestive or a impressionistic one, fish, and fish very well (in fact is what we have been using for a long time now). But it is also true that fish normally eat real bugs and those are what they look for. This takes us to the five major elements of imitation: action, texture, color and shape. I have spent a lot of time thinking about how to obtain an angled head in a hopper pattern or a realistic pair of rear legs, because I think they are important as trouts normally eat hoppers with all their parts on. A trout can be deceived with suggestive and impressionistic flies, but also with a close to natural fly.

Thank you Alpinefly!

Andres T.

Very nice fly! Please let us know when and where it's published. I think we'd all like to see how that one's done!

Absolutely amazing! As the others have said it looks like a real grasshopper thats about to leap off the foam!!!!!! Truely a fabulous fly.

Jeanne

+ Reply to Thread