+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stripping Basket

Default Stripping Basket

Santa brought me a stripping basket.
    It is great.
    I've owned other types and never liked any of them.
    This is so clever it makes me wish I'd thought of it.
    To see what Santa brought, go to:
    http://flyfishbasket.com/
    Near the bottom of the page is a link for a video. It shows the basket a lot better than I can explain, but I can say everything shown there works like they say.
    Just great.

Looks interesting. I have some concerns. I hope you will get back to us after you use the basket.

I've used meshed baskets without cones, and they didn't do much to prevent the line from tangling. Also, with the position of the basket on your thigh, does it get in the way when and if you haul? Finally, if you fish in the surf and wade out a bit does it hang too low - below the surface of the water?

Thanks,

Randy

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I've used meshed baskets without cones, and they didn't do much to prevent the line from tangling.
    Ditto.

This is the best I've ever used:

http://www.flexi-stripper.com/

I've been using a mesh stripping basket for the past 7-8 years and wouldn't consider doing without it. I originally got it to keep the line out of the dirt, sticks and grass while I walked around ponds fishing for bass. The model I use does not have cones, but 90+% of the time, the line is not tangled at all. The few times it does tangle, I make a couple more false casts as I untangle it with my nleft hand. The bottom line is, I find a stripping basket a tremendous asset to have and would not want to fish without one.

Jim Smith

I'm curious about the flexi-stripper. It doesn't have walls (or sides,) so how does it keep the line from falling onto the water or ground?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    I'm curious about the flexi-stripper. It doesn't have walls (or sides,) so how does it keep the line from falling onto the water or ground?
    The little plastic spikes catch the line and keep it off the ground/water. There are some videos on the website demonstrating how it works.

I've used it for fishing ponds from the bank and out of a drift boat -- works great.

+ Reply to Thread