+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are Your Favorite Fly Fishing Reels?

Quote Originally Posted by FatBill View Post
    The one I'm using at the moment.
    Bill
    Dang, Bill beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsmith1223 View Post
    Dang, Bill beat me to it. I was going to say the same thing.
    Darn it, me too!!!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

3. Default What Are Your Favorite Fly Reels

Dudley,
    No, the contemporary (at least since the fifties) 1494 and all of the larger models feature the drag which was introduced in 1937. The 1492 (the smallest of the series) still has a click-and-pawl. I'm just trying to determine if the click-and-pawl 1494 was discontinued when the drag version was introduced in 1937. The glass artist is my son, of whom I am inordinately proud.
    Regards,
    Preston

Preston,

Here is the Pflueger Medalist history:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part287.php

Cheers,

Richard in Plano TX

Talking Reels

Those are all some pretty sweet reels....can't wait to see some markdowns day after tomorrow

My favorite is the LRH. Then I also love the JW Young 50's Condex and Pridex I have, and I have a couple of '50's Farlow's that I really like along with some English CFO's. It's all in the mood I'm in, and what rod I use at the time. And what waters I fish, and what time of year it is, and what I had for dinner the night before and........

7. Default What are Your Favorite Fly Fishing Reels?

Thanks Richard, I believe you've posted that before. I was off a year (1937 vs. 193 but can I assume, then, that the spring and pawl 1494 was dropped when the drag model was introduced? I also have a very early 1494 drag model which apparently pre-dates the change to the frame casting which added the boss into which the shaft of the drag-control goes. I'm assuming that Pflueger probably used up existing frames from the pre-drag models by simply drilling a radial hole at the right location.

Another curious feature is the click-plate which, instead of the usual four fly-cuts, only has two so that, instead of making the usual "putt-putt-putt" on the retrieve, it makes more of a "putt---putt---putt" sound. If I could figure out how to post pictures on this site, I'd do so.
    Regards,
    Preston

The reel that is on the butt end of the flyrod that I have in my hand at that time

Preston, Preston, Preston 'ol buddy. Ya gotta post your pictures on something like 'Photo-Bucket,' then you can either show them on here or link to them.

I don't understand how anyone can use those line holders with which to fish. If it doesn't bring in 2' per wind, it is simply useless. I use the Martin 72 3:1 multiplier (about $30). Now I'd like something better, but there are not many multipliers out these. More's the pity.

+ Reply to Thread