+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sinking floating line

Default sinking floating line

I have trouble with the tips of my floating fly lines (scientific angler) sinking. I vaguely remember reading that this could be prevented or at least minimized by sealing the end of the fly line with some kind of epoxy or sealer. Any one have any experience with such an approach or a different solution?
    Oh by the way, Merry Christmas!

Mine sink too, but I have heard the Super Glue can seal the end if you think it might be soaking up water. Actually, mine don't sink when I am fishing dry flies. Some say it would be a good thing, it would start the leader to sink and some seem to want that. I do not. I like everything to float; line, leader, tippet and fly. I try to mind how I mend and pick-up my casts.

Just whip a loop in the end of your line and that should take care of it.All my lines have them and all my floaters float.

Mostly it's caused by dirty lines. Modern lines usually have a core that isn't fibrous and soaks up little or no water. Clean lines thoroughly and dress them well and the problem is usually solved.

i agree w/ RG/AR and SkipS-
    also- i have good luck w/ the new SA GPX lines...
    merry xmas.
    aquabone.

Smile sinking line tips

Hi Steve,

Merry Christmas! I had a guide once tell me that if my line tip had the woven loop attached for connecting to leaders that the woven loop will catch and hold dirt causing the line tip to eventually sink. He stressed the need to clean the loop connection well and additionally, he felt that the solution was to change the loop connection from time to time.

hope this helps,
    Gerri

Blog Entries

Smile Clean that line

Seem like just about every floating line I have will start to sink near the tip as the day goes on. I start off the day with a line that was cleaned the night before and treated with ZipCast (I used to use Line Speed). But, eventually the tips will start to sink as the line gets dirtier and dirtier. Usually I will give it a quick cleaning during lunch and another treatment of conditioner. Some waters are filled with so much crud that I will clean them a couple of times during a full days fishing. Just comes with the territory.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

I am fairly lax about cleaning my lines. I do whip loops in all my fly lines. I will clean them up. Thanks!

It seems all my lines will have the tip start to sink after 3 or 4 hours on the water, I just treat my whole leader and first foot or two of my line with floatant and it works fine again.

+ Reply to Thread