+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First....

Default Your First....

WAtroutbum's post asking where we've fished this year got me looking at maps and I started tripping down memory lane, looking at pretty much all the places I've ever fished in my whole life. Some of those places stood out as memorable (to me, anyway) firsts.

For example, my first time fishing ever was about 54 years ago on Mill Creek in Salt Lake City. At that time, Mill Creek was way out in the country, not surrounded by housing developments, like it is today. I was about 7 years old and I wanted to go fishing but didn't have any equipment or anyone to take me. My dad was a terrific fisherman but he had passed away when I was just 6 months old. None of my brothers or my mom fished and I was too shy to wrangle myself an invitation from any neighbors or family friends. I had read and seen drawings about Tom Sawyer taking a long stick and making a fishing pole out of it and I thought if it was good enough for old Tom I would try it, since I didn't need any help for that. I took a long, thin, green branch from an apple tree that grew in our back yard; tied about 10' or so of white string to the tip; fastened a bent straight pin to the end of the string; and marched off the half-mile or so to Mill Creek with a can of worms I had picked the night before. An old gentleman passed me on my way there and asked to see my outfit. He was amused but seemed to genuinely admire it. As you might imagine, I got skunked that day but I've considered myself a fisherman ever since.

First fish caught: Hebgen Lake, Wyoming, about 52 years ago--a chub.

First time caught fishing out of season: I was about 12 and there was a fishing contest that began on such and such a date so, on the appointed day my buddy and I grabbed our fishing gear and rode our bikes about a mile and a half to the Ogden River just above Loren Farr Park in Ogden, Utah. We didn't understand that there are different start dates for fishing in different parts of the state and we had jumped the gun for our area by about a week. The game warden played his part perfectly. He confiscated our fishing gear and our bikes and put them in the back of his truck. Sternly, he asked, "Have you boys every been in jail before?" All the while, I'm sure he was stifling a huge guffaw to see these cowering little boys who had been caught by the long arm of the law. In the end, we got our fishing gear and our bikes back as he turned us over to our parents recognizance. I've never fished out of season or without a license since then (except that once, which involved crossing state lines, but I plead the fifth on that one and I think the statute of limitations has probably run).

First time fly fishing was nearly 9 years ago on a back channel of the South Fork of the Snake River. I had bought a used 9' 5wt Sage fly rod on e-bay from a guy in Oregon and a new Orvis Battenkill reel, also on e-bay. The rod got here first and I couldn't wait to try it out but the reel hadn't arrived yet so I went to Hyde Fly Shop and got fixed up with waders, boots, line, tippets, a vest and a lot of stuff to hang off of it, a bunch of flies and a box to keep them in. Then I hooked up an old green and silver automatic Pflueger reel I had (the wind up kind with a lever--I've still got it) and I went a-fishin'. I didn't know the first thing about casting and very little about what flies to use but, besides losing about a dozen flies on awkward back casts, I actually caught a couple of fish that day (on a brown rubber legs and then on a bwo, as I recall). I kept looking over my shoulder to see if anyone was around to see the circus I was putting on but I was hooked, so to speak. Hopefully, I've learned some and do a little better today.

So, fellow anglers, what are your firsts?....

Dennis

Good question but how am I suppose to remember what I did over 80 years ago ???????? Bad enough trying to remember what I have to do tomorrow. BILL

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Dal great post.

My first fish was about 40 years ago I was six, fishing with father and grandfather. I had received the fishing gear for my birthday. On a Small River or stream outside of Newport Oregon,. I caught a huge trout and fried it up on the spot. My dad told me years later that it wasn't of legal length but they didn't want to disappoint me as it was my first fish. The fish must have been all of at least 5.5 inches as I think the "keeper size" at that time was 6 inches.

I was never caught fishing out of season, I only did it once at about the age of 12 and didn't find out that I was a week early until I talked to my grandfather the next day. The fact that I was out of season explains the strange looks I was getting from the people driving by.

First fish on a fly was three years ago at Winchester a lake outside of Lewiston Idaho. I had bought a 6 wt Orvis fly outfit at Wally World. I had read some books about fishing and had bought a few flies. There wasn't much room for a back cast and I wasnt much of a caster. I cast a black ant about 10 feet aiming under an overhanging willow and a 4 inch bluegill devoured it. I have been hooked ever since. I cut the fly off my line and hung it on my hat, the ant has been my favorite fly ever since.
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 12-23-2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: my computer is possessed and changed my punctuation
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

started end of last spring beginning of summer. 1st fish on a fly using a gold ribbed hares ear. the smallest largemouth ever! haha. it was a big deal to me tho. looked over at my cousin for a split second and he gos you got one! I got the fly line in my one hand and set the hook and instead of handing it to my other hand to strip it I look like a moron holding the rod in one hand and flyline in the other panicing. my cousin grabs the line hands it to my other hand and I strip it in for the catch. should of lost it prolly haha!! what a fly fishing noob I was!! I don't remember my 1st time fishing ever cause I was so young. I was like 3 or something my mom says. I used to leave pieces of worms in my pockets she says and I even remember being very little and catching a huge bullfrog under a dock once with some baloney. but it was my dumb fault cause I seen it and casted by it and it tore up the baloney and I pulled it in went running and got my grandpa to unhook it lmao. funny when your little how you do dumb stuff! lol
    Last edited by fishaholic69; 12-23-2008 at 05:00 AM.
    God Put Fly Fishing Here For You And Me! Take Advantage Man! Take Advantage!
    AKA GeorgeMcFly

A friend of mine routinely holds his fish out arms length towards the camera so it looks like he just caught a 30# salmon. If you'd done that with your fish it would look like a world record large mouth!!....

My first time fishing was with my grandfather in a little pond called Prisoner's Lake in Devou Park in Northern Kentucky. There are a lot of stories about why it's caled Prisoner's Lake but nobody seems to really know for sure. One story that sounds about as good as another is it was at one time a rock quarry and was dug out by prisoner's during the Civil War. There are other stories about prisoner's who escaped from a Union Stockade during the Civil war being captured there. At any rate, it has made for some good stories. All we ever caught there were little bluegill but had I known my grandfather would die the next summer, I think I would have savored the moment even more. I was 7 when he died.

The first time fishing all night was when I was about 12 and was with my dad. We were after catfish. My dad is not much for the outdoors but he did take me hunging and fishing a number of times when I was too young to drive. It's one of those things dad's do for their kids. I'm not much for soccer but I have only missed 2 or 3 of my son's soccer games in the past 6 or so years.

First time fly fishing was at a little pond across the street from my house when I was about 14. I caught a lot of fish on the fly rod that summer.

First time fly fishing with my own son was 2 years ago at a little stream close to our house. Later that summer, he caught his first trout on a fly rod in the Smokey Mountains.

First time fishing Yellowstone with my son was this July.

I enjoy every minute fishing with my boy and when the day is done, I start looking forward to the next time we go out. Honestly, every time we start getting our gear together for an outing, I get just as excited as I did the first time we went fishing. I know in a few years, he's going to go off to school, get a job, get married and have kids of his own (hopefully in something close to that order) and the opportunities to fish with dad will get fewer and farther between so I enjoy every single time we get to go now.

Jeff

First time fishing was something over 50 years ago and while I don't remember for certain I can just about bet it was with a cane pole, bobber and worms. The kind of cane pole you used to be able to buy for $1.00 and it came with a line, bobber and a couple hooks. It's almost certain the first fish was a bluegill or longear sunfish. I do know it was on the Dry Fork of the Bourbeuse in southern Gasconade County, Missouri. Dad didn't much like to fish, he was more of a hunter, but he took me fishing.

First fish on a fly rod I was 12 or 13. In Owensville, Missouri in the early 60's there weren't a lot of fly fisherman. None that I knew of. Anyway, I'd gotten all fired up reading about fly fishing in Sports Afield and Outdoor Life and had to try it. Well...a dollar was as big as a five gallon bucket but I mowed lawns, shoveled snow in the winter, (back when we actually got snow in central Missouri0, and did whatever a 12 or 13 years old kid can do to make a buck. I went to the local Gambles store, remember them?, and bought an $8.00 spinning outfit complete with reel, line and six foot solid fibreglass rod. Then I bought a single action fly reel for a dollar and a level line for I forget how much. The reel seat on the rod was a slip ring so I'd swap from spining reel to fly reel and use the same rod for both. Leader was 6 lb. mono and a tippet was something I'd never heard of.

Welp...to make a long story even longer....my first fish on the spinning rod set up to fly fish with, was about a 1 1/2 lb. largemouth caught out of Red Oak creek right under what was called "Big Rock"...cuz it was....a big rock, probably 12 feet or so high. I caught it on a black popping bug. Not only was the fish hooked but so was I. Been fly fishing ever since. What....42-43 years.

First time fishing out west was in 1986 at the lakes around the Flat Tops in Colorado outside Sweetwater, while on an elk hunt. The fishing was better than the elk hunting that year.

I lived in NW Wyoming for a few years, outside Thayne.....Dennis, we did our shopping in Idaho Falls......First fish there was at the access across the Salt River heading up to McCoy Creek. Got to fish the South Fork and enjoyed that but came to love the Grays.

Vic

Thanks for the reply, Vic. I fished that same stretch of the Salt River my first and only time one cold, rainy fall day about 25 years ago. We were there with the Hydes (the same ones that now own the boat company) camping in their home country with some scouts and stopped to fish for a couple of hours. I caught exactly one fish and cleaned it for lunch with my favorite pocket knife, one that was given me as a Christmas present by my step sister, who got it while she and her husband were in Turkey. I got distracted or something and left that knife stuck into the wet soil of the bank and forgot all about it until we were on the way home and had gone too far to go back (this is not the first piece of equipment I've left behind--way too many of those and I don't remember the first). I'd love to go visit there again for some fly fishing on a good day. I'll bet it's great!!
    Last edited by dal; 12-23-2008 at 07:15 PM.

From YCMALTF on my website.

The Old Master had started me off on a little spinning rod. I guess he figured I should learn about the stream before he got me into fly fishing. So:

"I was fishing the Meps along a likely looking undercut just above where a little stream came in and wham. A little bolt of lightning screamed up from the bottom and grabbed the spinner. He wasn’t big, maybe 6 inches or so. I brought him in to my pre-wetted hand – just like the Old Master had been told to do. I have never seen anything so beautiful. Pretty reds and golds and worm tracks on the back just like Steve had told me there would be. I quickly got him unhooked and back into the water before he was harmed.
    Something happened in that few minutes that has influenced my fishing ever since. The most important thing was how beautiful and fragile that little brookie was. And how it was important not to do him harm and to try to put things back right as though you had never been there.
    The second thing is that it is not important if anyone else sees you catch a fish or even knows that you did for that matter. Catching a fish is a truly personal event in its purest form. It is only between you and the fish. Steve had told me it would be like this. It’s not how many, it’s not how big, it’s only this moment and you and the fish.
    In that one singular event, in that one special moment, all the lessons Steve had started teaching me achieved meaning. I was hooked more than any fish ever could be."

bob

You're doing it right, Jeff. My 3 sons are all grown, married and gone now. They're great kids and we're close and we have a great time when we get together but one of my great regrets is that I didn't spend more time than I did fishing with them when they were growing up.

+ Reply to Thread