+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used pontoon boat fo $75- Good deal??

Default Used pontoon boat fo $75- Good deal??

I have a chance to buy a used Creek Company Sport pontoon boat for $75 and need some opinions from those of you with more experience in pontoons than I have, this is my first. It is three years old and has seen light use. The pontoons do not leak, but it has some rusting issues primarily on the clamp-on oar locks. While the rust is fairly significant on the oar locks, it does not appear to diminish their usability. There is also some light rusting in a few places on some of the frame welds but it is light and appears to be only cosmetic. The rusting has caused some staining of the yellow pontoon covers but I do not mind that if $75 is a good deal for this boat. Also, I see where Creek Company is discontinuiing this model and it can be purchased new for $189. On a math teachers salary, this is a significant price increase. I plan to use it during low flows on the Yakima River and on some of the lakes in the Yakima, WA area. I look forward to your input.

Jim

4beader-

I know nothing about the pontoon boat in question. However, were it me, I'd spend the extra to get a new one, and then take proper care of it. When one starts with used equipment that already has "issues", the only direction it's going is downhill. Just my opinion.

------------------
    Taxon
    [url=http://FlyfishingEntomology.com:1d3fd]FlyfishingEntomology.com[/url:1d3fd]

Jim,
    I tend to agree with Taxon. Think about it...in great condition, a used item loses a good bit of value. With rust, which IS deterioration, it would lose more. I would shy away from it, but it's your decision to make.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I own a Trout Unlimited Madison Kick Boat and love it. I am familiar with the boat you are talking about as I considered it. $75 is cheap and if you can get 3-4 years use than who cares. The new one will probably rust too if it's exposed to water and elements. You should look at it as if the one for $75 is a starter and you may want a better one 3 years from now anyway. If it's in decent shape then buy it!

Get the $75 boat. Then while you are using it you will tend to watch other people on tha lake and their boats, how they handle, how they get them to and from the water, how they haul them, whether they uses anchors or not, if they have a breadbaasket place, if they have velcro straps on the side for extra rods, if it has a rod holder to hold your rod while you are tying on a fly, etc. etc. etc. You will learn about pumps, boston valves, summit valves, and all that jazz on a nice economical boat. Then you can pick out what you think you want someday. There are float tubes, "pontoon float" tubes, big pontoon boats, and small pontoon boats. For where I fish I wan a small Outcast made of light weight aluminum that still has oars and is easy to carry by one person. I have a 7.5 water skeeter of the old iron frame type and although a very good boat, heavy to carry by myself. Pontoon float tubes have no oars but you sit higher than in a pure float tube. I would want the lightest, shortest pontoon boat I can find.

Just my opinion. I say get experience and learn on that economical boat. That is the going price for a cheap float tube.

Gem

4beader,
    You've got to factor in your swimming skills when buying a USED , RUSTY, air containing vessel. I would understand paying $1000 for it if it cost $2000 but for another few bucks a new one is a smarter choice IMHO.
    Good Luck
    Mark
    Backstroke??

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

You must have just started teaching to be so low paid and therefore I can see your reluctance to go the extra plus tax which you probably wouldn't have to pay on the used one. How many times a year do you plan on using it? I guess a lot depends on the condition of the used one... We can't see it of course but as Mark said... hope you are a good swimmer. For your loved ones peace of mind...if at all possible go the extra for the new one.

First a thank you to those who took the time to respond to my question. I had decided to follow the majority opinion, but then the guy said "$50 and the boat is yours." What's a scotsman supposed to do? I went for it like a duck on a june bug. He was correct in that it does not leak air and the rust problem can be cured for the price of two new oar locks (less than $20 but they will probably not get replaced. I did invest in a good PFD though.

Jim

[This message has been edited by 4beader (edited 04 November 2005).]

For what you paid a little sand paper and paint on the savable rusted parts of the frame and if the area seems to bad you can always get it welded up should be good to go. if nothing else 50 for a set of pontoons that don't leak is cheap enough to save as spares down the road.
    You do know many hardware stores sell the alluminum rods that you can weld with a propane torch and your good as new CHEAP framewise. Used those rods and replaced the transom in a jon boat 2 yrs ago holds great just as strong as new.

Jim,... Think you should replace the oar locks if they are in as bad condition as you stated . You don't want to be in a river, bumb up against a rock or log wit an oar and break one off. Unless you are handy with a torch like tease for "under $20" it is hardly worth putting the time and material into making them. Your price would still be less than the original $75 you were considering paying. With what's left you can pick up some sandpaper or em. cloth and a can of silver rustoleum and take care of the frame too. If you let it go it is only going to get worse.

+ Reply to Thread