+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a bamboo rod ?

Default Wrap your own maybe?

Hello Sagellbean, if you can wrap a rod then you might look at Mike Brooks. I know from having ferruled blanks made that Mike will do you more than right. And if you tell Mike how you want the rod to cast, that's how it will cast.

The others mentioned and that posted are experts and make fine rods also.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Suggested current bamboo rod makers, if money is truly no object:

R.W. Summers......you'll probably have to buy on the secondary market.
    John Bradford, ditto
    Walt Carpenter, ditto
    Homer Jennings.......1 1/2 to 2 year wait. Although his rods are true bargains at what he sells them for.
    Chris Carlin........approx. 1 year
    Mike Clark.....not taking orders, again a secondary market rod, if you can find someone willing to sell.
    Per Brandin, a long wait.
    Bruce Howells, no idea on wait time
    Sweetgrass Rods, close to a year I think?
    Dave Male, probably 6 months to a year.
    Marcelo Calviello, not sure of his wait time?
    Harry Boyd, ditto.
    Rolf Baginski, ditto
    R.L. Nunley, ditto
    The previously mentioned Ron Kusse, no idea of wait time.

I'm forgetting others, but if you want a truly fine bamboo rod of impeccable build and taper, you can not go wrong with any of the above, in my opinion.

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 12-20-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Default Bamboo rods..

Dave,

Here are a few of our rods that are available to purchase:
    http://www.leftcoasttackle.com/available_bamboo.html
    http://www.mwreynolds.com/HTML/anglingBAMBOO.html

If you're looking for something different, give me a call at the shop (541)926-8266. Weather permitting, I should be there tomorrow.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

Default buying bamboo

I have an Elder 7ft 4wt Black Log Creek that I got in October. It is a very nice rod and was built by Curt Elder in Overland Park, KS. He is a full time builder from back east, hand splitting cane and building all of his own blanks, and turns out some beautiful rods, that fish as well, if not better than they look. I would recommend taking a look at his site.

http://www.elderrod.com/www1/Est-Home.asp?eid=21

Check out the 'Shop News' page for available/ in stock rods and production schedules. He turns out a run of three or four rods of a particular model, at a time, but also builds to suit if you wish to customize.
    Last edited by ROR-EYE; 01-02-2009 at 04:28 PM.
    "A fly must first please the user before the fish."
    Trey Combs: Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies

Check out the rod makers in this guild of bamboo rod makers too

http://www.goabra.org/

I'm waiting on my first now, and I chose Dave Norling in Minneapolis for my builder. He's building me an 8' 2pc hollowbuilt 5wt, I believe on a Powell taper. Can't wait!

Blog Entries

I wish I could make up my mind . There is allot I still have to learn. Some say try Orvis , LL-bean or have one custom made. I wish I could cast one before I bought one. I like a fast action rod. but I think I could get used to other actions if I wanted to. I like the look of the Hex rods. I would most like likey get one around 7 ft or so. A 4wt or 5 wt. Just so much to think about. Dave V

Good luck with your rod and maker of choice 92Esquire

Cool More help here:

Cane Rods For Beginner's, and a dozen or so other good articles about choosing cane rods is available for you in our "With Bamboo" section here of FAOL. Most of the articles are by well known cane rodmakers. Hint, hint. Start here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...boo/part43.php

Default bamboo

Hi,

Your wish to cast rods rings home with me. Getting a chance to cast some bamboo first is great, if you can. A lot of shops and individual makers allow a return within so many days, but there are so many rod tapers out there, it's almost like saying "I'd like to try some dessert" from a menu written in Greek!

If you were just a wee bit closer to Maine (South Dakota? a long drive-grin), and anyone who is, please feel welcome, I'd say drop by for "SuperBoo" on February 7th, a free, open to the public, cane rod sharing/casting day. The whole idea is to give everyone a chance to cast all sorts of cane.

But there may be a conclave or gathering for cane not too far away - if none of us on FAOL know, the bamboo faithful on Clarks might.

Or, organize one of your own.

Or, as suggested, talk at length to a maker or shop with a good background, or the willing FAOLers who've posted, or post more about your style and preferences for fishing here. Maybe we'll have ideas. The maker is one piece of the equation, the taper is the other (and the cosmetics, and if you want it impregnated, hollow-built......).

Kat

Sage,
    Just noticed that you were in Rapid City.I'm in Miles City,Mt. If you want to come by my shop and cast a bunch of 'boo just give me a call.

+ Reply to Thread