+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scott blanks

Default Scott blanks

I'm pretty much a rookie rod builder for the record, but, has anyone ever had a Scott blank where they marked the spine in the wrong place? I think they did on mine, but as a rookie, there's a good chance I'm wrong. I did the spine test where you hold it at a 45 degree angle, put a little pressure on the middle of the section, and roll it to where to leaps to. And I find that it stops about a quarter of the way around the rod from where they marked it. Should I go with what I think, or what they marked?

Thanks very much.
    josh

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I'm making no reccomendation, Josh. However, I recently read an article about spines in blanks that said it really didn't mace any discernable difference. I have always used the method you describe, and went with what that indicated. I haven't had any troubles, and have not been disappointed. Seems like a call to Scott may be in order...........
    ...ModocDan

That's interesting. I appreciate the input.

I bought a rod from a gentleman on this forum at a good price because he miscalculated the spline and wrapped the rod wrong. It casts great. I have not tried pinpoint target casting, but I have other rods for that. Doubt that this helps but it is interesting I believe

Smile I'll second that

I'll second Modocdan. I'm no expert at building rods. I've probably made about 15. I used to drive myself nuts with the spine thing and now I realize it's not a big deal. I still spine my rods, but I'm not compulsive about it anymore. I roll them 2 or 3 times and I'm satisfied. I've also read that it doesn't really make much difference. I think it's more important to space and align the guides correctly. I believe there are some builders that don't spine at all and go by the straightness of the blank. Again, I am no professional, but I fish with the rods I build and I catch some fish so I'm satisfied. I think there will be little difference between your spine marks and Scott's. If it were me I'd go with Scott's marks because who would know better than the manufacturer. If you're not satisfied call Scott's and I'm sure they would be happy to help you. I hope this sheds a little light on the subject.
    The Best

Take a look again at the marks and blank. You may very well find that the mark is on the straightest axis, not one of the spines.

Blog Entries

Cool

Most likely the maks you are looking at will be the straightest axis of the blank when assembled. Most companys do not mark the spine or bother with it. As a builder I dont either. I assemble the rod for straightness, then proceed.

All right. That helps. Thanks very much.

+ Reply to Thread