+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survivor fly tyer??

Default Survivor fly tyer??

Hi all,
    Last night I was watching the show survivor. I noticed about halway through the show that the ex-NFL guy, tom, was tying a fly with his hands, which later turned out to be a butterfly. ( a good one at that for free hand!) Did anyone else see this?
    -David

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Saw the same thing. It's nice to know that our hobby finally made it to prime time TV. Did anyone see them actually catch a fish with the fly? 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Rumor has it that Lee Wulff used to tie flies freehand, onstream, all the time. Don't know if it's true or not, but it makes a great story. I haven't even tried it yet. Have you?
    LadyFisher, any truth to the rumor that you know of? I'll bet there is.

------------------
    He Knocks. You Only Have To Ask.
    Joe

Yes Joe, he did. I don't know about the on stream part but def sans vise. Actually a lot of people did and a few still do. Dave Brandt who travels to all the shows with me demonstrates no vise tyingh as one of the feature tyers at the shows. No bobbin either just a loose piece of thread. He would tie a Wulff fly and then a tiny one. Lee does it on his video. I have one of those flies and a signed card.
    Dave was a good friends of Lee's and was also one of his casting instructors at the Wulff casting school. He still instructs for Joan. Dave is known for his Catskill style flies and that is what he normaly ties at the show tables but when he does the one hour feature tyer thing he does the no vise deal. It's not too hard if you want to try it...just takes some getting used to. Lee started tying that way because he didn't have a vise way back. At the show he would demo it. . Normally he would be ne of the speakers. Those videos are on ebay every once in a while. There is a guy who ties Salmon Flies that way...Now thats something...From Spain maybe...I forget his name..
    Martinez...maybe?

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 04 November 2005).]

If I wasn't totally losing my mind I would tell you the name of the family (in Scotland I think) which was/is a commercial operation and all the atlantic flies were tied without a vice. We have a feature on them somewhere here on FAOL!

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I have enough problems with my own fly onstream, God Bless him

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

At my tying demonstrations, I tie a size 24 midge without my vice. I can only do it a few times per day, and then my hand cramps up

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

I was an instructor at a fly fishing camp for kids during the summer. When we got to the fly tying part it was ezer to walk around and tie it in my hands. Since then I been able to more then just a wolly bugger. My fav is the #28 grizzly midge like Lee used to do. Your right about the hand cramps, I found I was holding the hook too tight.

Joe Fox

Joe, U still got the shop open? Been pretty mild weather this past week...

A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of watching Harry Lemire tie a full dress Atlantic Salmon pattern, with out the aid of a vise. Simply incrediable!!!
    1More

+ Reply to Thread