+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elko Nevada

Default Elko Nevada

I may be moving to Elko this winter and would like some help with the area fishing. Where, when and how. I don't suppose I should bring my drrift boat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Here's something

Hello two, welcome to FAOL, take a look at this valuable tool at:

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=11655

Hope it helps your quest !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

thank you MM thats a good start.

two,
    Picture yourself sitting in one of these: http://www.crosbylodge.com/images/fishing/chair_ad.jpg
    At Pyramid Lake and hooking one of these: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...l/Lahontan.jpg (Image)
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Dshock,
    that sure beats wooden legs soaking up water.

Two: A few years back I spent a night in Elko. I was playing poker and the dealer and I were talking fishing. He seemed quite to know quite a bit. He told me to check the Ruby Mountains which are close to Elko. Do a Google on 'Ruby Mountains". Also there is a Ranger station in Elko that has quite a bit of info. My brother who used to live near Elko really liked to fish the Ruby Marsh for bass as well as trout. You might want to check that out.

Tim

Default Elko Fishing

Well, I grew up in Elko County, so I guess I'm as about as close as an amateur expert as you're going to get. This late in the year about the only thing you can fish is Wildhorse, as long as you have an auger, a thermos and a bunce of warm, wind resistant clothing. Things are a whole lot better in the spring and Summer. There is some small stream fishing along the East Humbolts, Tabor Creek. Mostly stillwater, like Angel Lake, Ruby Marshes, South Fork Resivoir and Wildhorse. Wilson, Sheep Creek, and Bull Run Resiviors can be fun also. A great reference is the Nevada Department of Wildlife web site, where you can find all sorts of great info on fishing in northeastern Nevada. Also, check the Elko Daily Free Press web site and look for Joe's Fishing Hole. Its a great report of the areas fisheries. If you have any questions, send me a message and I'll see what I can do to help. And congrats on the move! If I had my job that I have now up there, I would have never left! Good Luck!

It gets very cold in Elko and those parts. I used to fish Wildhorse and it is known for icefishing in the winter. They used to have a kokanee fishery that I used to fish.

Lots of fishing in eastern Nv. Cave Lake near Ely is another spot. Like beigefoot posted, the Nevada DOW site is great. Is NV really a good place to fish? Well, this past summer I hit a secret lake in Central NV and had 17 trout to hand in an afternoon. But in the winter? I think I'd pass.

Well, the snow and wind haven't left here since early October, so I guess it's just gonna follow me around The fishing prospects are looking up and I thank you guys that have given me ideas and more places to research. The only problem has been in the last several years, every move gets me further, not closer to my driftboat

+ Reply to Thread