+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hexagraph Rods

Default Hexagraph Rods

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone in the group owns a hexagraph rod. Thinking of purchasing an 8' 6" med. action rod for next year. I thought since there's a wide verity of fly fisherman here some one out there has to own one. Got a chance to look at a 7'6" this year, the rod seemed to be well constructed and looked great. Looking for some comments on how the rods performs. Received some feedback but not enough to sway me over yet to buy one. Thanks
    Last edited by Wetfly1; 12-12-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning WF and All.
    Are you refering to the Hexagraph rod/s built by Bruce and Walker in Britain?

If so, I had the pleasure to use one for a day back in our last summer.
    And pleasure it was, to me, this was the best, way above by far the best fly rod I have ever used in about 50years of fly casting !

The finish on the rod was what I would call as just average,
    BUT
    the casting, well the best way to describe it was, the casting was almost automatic.

The rod that I was lucky to use was their Sea Trout and Salmon 6w Switch rod.
    This rod was some years old, however on the same day they was a top of the range xxxx brand of rod they also and a couple of others,
    BUT
    the B and W Hexagraph was way above today's wonder xxxx brand rod and all the others.

This was not only mine
    BUT
    other casters/fishers conclusion also.

AND
    now, I wonder about rod design and the direction that the market leaders are pushing to with their faster than fast rods and .........

Kindest regards,
    UB
    ps, I've designed the odd fly rod, that is not just stuck the runners on kind of thing.

AND
    All the best to you and your loved ones at this time of year and
    PLEASE
    have a Safe and wonderful Christmas.

Blog Entries

Wetfly, I have an 8'6" 4/5 Hex that I won in the monthly drawing here. It casts beautifully and fights fish well, even large fish. I have dozens of photos of that rod lying in the shallows beside steelhead and even a few salmon.

It is heavier and slower than a similar round graphite rod, and takes a little getting used to. But I think you will like it.

From my office wall:

Default Hexagraph

I have a friend who bought a 7/8 weight , 8' 6" Hexagraph several years back from the factory. He ultimately didn't like the action and pestered me about trading another rod for it. Long story short, he talked me into it. I traded him a TFO professional series 5 wt. and a Teton reel for it.
    I used it on one fishing trip, and felt that with an 8 and it was too slow. I tried the 7 and it was a little slow, but nice. I usually fish saltwater with 7 and 8 wt. rods, and because of the high winds on the Louisiana coast where I fish, I have been using faster rods and the Hexagraph sits unused in the corner of my closet.
    My friend asked me about the rod the other day, and I told him I would probably donate it or sell it for lack of use.
    By the way, I cast a 6 wt. on it for kicks in the yard a few months back and the rod, in my opinion, came to life. I feel it is a much better 6 wt. than an 8 wt. but I have too many rods as it is.
    If you are interested in a slightly used hexagraph that throws a 6/7 I would be happy to entertain an offer. I'll send pictures if you want. You can PM me if interested.

Guys thanks for the feed back on the rod. I think I am going to give the Hexagraph med action 8' 6" 4/5 weight a shot. Should be prefect for the streams here in Pa and hopefully it will fish my wet flies as good as my Sage and Orvis rods do.

+ Reply to Thread