+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to LEARN this winter?

Default What do you want to LEARN this winter?

Ladies and Gents,

Since the board has been dead the last few days, I wanted to stir the pot a bit with the following question: What new skill do you plan to learn this winter in preparation for the spring/summer 2009 season?

Personally, I am going to learn to tie several different styles of nymphs (I keep a picture file of ones I run across that I like on my hard drive), as I plan on making a focused effort to increase my limited skills at subsurface fly fishing in 2009.

I am interested to see what others have in mind.

Jeff

I would like to learn how to fly fish the Cumberland River or any river for trout, rock bass or smallmouth. 99% of my fly fishing has been on lakes and ponds.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I want to learn to fly cast without creating a tsunami. I'm tired of Jet Skiers following me everywhere so they can 'jump the wake' when I cast.

Seriously, I plan on becomming a Certified Fly Fishing Instructor, and maybe a Fly Tying Instructor next year. Fly fishing in my area needs a boost.

How to heat my side garage so I can finish building my canoes. Right now it's full of siding materials we await the break of this run of minus zero days. I'm also trying to get a grip on a new style of line guide wrapping for my rods. In this case, and in all cases, I'm really learning the art of patience. JGW

I am DETERMINED to learn to tie a klinkhamer, along with some other patterns I haven't yet tied. In the past, I have purchased them & I need to tie them to follow the lead of good buddy Grubb. Tim was told once that to improve his fly tying, he should attempt to fish ONLY with flies that he personally ties. As poorly as I currently tie, I followed his advice (with only a couple exceptions) all of 2008 & had what has been probably my most successful year of fly fishing.
    Thanks Tim!!!...I'm workin' on it.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Fatman Guest

I need to try again or find a class or teacher that can help me with spinning deer hair so I can make some bugs and RF McDougals!! I try and get frustrated and just give up. It is my tying nemisis

Fatman

Smile

My goal is to fish as many days as possible this winter, and to kept my fly boxes full in between.

I have also asked Santa for for 2 books from Al Beatty's "Rotary fly tying techniqes" and "Innovative Flies and and Techniques"

I have been fly tying since I was 12,and have owned a rotary vise for a few years and I am looking to expand my use of all of the benefits of a rotary vise.

Well it is to cold to work on my fly casting here in Northwest Indiana. I do hope to work on my fly tying including spinning deer hair for bass bugs. I also am going to build my first fly rod and if it works out ok I will build one for my wife. Hey maybe I should build hers first as the second one should come out better LOL
    Remember we all live down stream

To learn how to let go of the anger I feel over my own stupidity. In December of 2006 I paid a college student/fishing guide $200 up front for a 2007 springtime trip -- a trip I still haven't received. It was the Christmas present I gave myself that year. He's disappeared; I'm still here.

Joe

"Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." (says my river trip buddy, Sam; a quote that pops to mind from time to time)

Well this has nothing to do with warm water, but I would like to learn how to tie hair wing dry flies. i.e. Gray Wulff. There are a couple of guys in our club who are really good at it.

I'd also like to learn how to con Joe Hyde out of $200.00.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread