+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saving Threads

Default Saving Threads

If I use the "Save page as" in Firefox to save threads on FAOL into my computer...will that folder/document stay there forever...or will it disappear when it is deleted from FAOL?

Maybe I need to save as a pdf???????

It will be yours forever!

Wink FAOL PM System

Duck -

There is another way to save threads on your computer. I almost brought it up a few days ago, but got distracted before I logged off and just didn't get back around to it.

You can send yourself a PM with links to the threads you want to save / have available. In my case, I sent myself a PM with links to the four major Fishing Reports threads that I put up this year on FAOL. Makes accessing them very easy, and the threads stay current as additional posts are made.

However, you aren't limited to threads on FAOL with this method. I first tried it when I wanted to save a link from another site on bamboo rodbuilding. It was a piece of information I wanted to have handy in a convenient place as I built a rod. Since then I have only had one other occasion to use the PM system for this purpose.

I haven't tried it yet, but I suppose it is possible to forward a PM that you sent to yourself to another person. Come to think of it, I may have actually done that - sending the stuff on bamboo rod building to Betty a while back ?? Seems I asked her not to spread it around that I was sending myself PM's.

John
    The fish are always right.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    If I use the "Save page as" in Firefox to save threads on FAOL into my computer...will that folder/document stay there forever...or will it disappear when it is deleted from FAOL?

Maybe I need to save as a pdf???????
    either way seems reasonable and should work. you would essentially be saving a snapshot in time and would have saved it on your computer forever and not be retrieving it from the FAOL server every time you want to view it.

my personal preference would be a pdf but its up to you.

Default Wow

Wow, I just checked and indeed it is just a snapshot in time...but wow again... that snapshot allows me to peruse the entire FAOL website ..for example all the old archives, etc. ...that's what made me think at first I was actually accessing FAOL ...seems to me that must take up a tremendous amount of my disc space???????
    Would that happen for every thread I save?...all that extra space I mean.

John, I'm thinking the link thing would only be temporary because when FAOL deletes the material the link will be broken.

Norm, I'm thinking pdf would solve it.

Question

Duck -

Can't really answer your question because I just started using the PM approach, and figured it would probably be temporary, from my point of view, in any event.

JC's answer above, however, leads me to think it might be "permanent" to the extent that the FAOL BB and PM and anything else are permanent.

Also, there have been a number of times when REALLY OLD threads get pulled up and seem to be intact. There was one brought back just a few days ago that started in '05, as I recall. Don't know what parameters FAOL uses to delete material or break links ??

There is another question / issue. If a thread / post has a picture, say from photobucket, when that pic is deleted from photobucket, it is deleted from the thread / post, at least as I understand it. ( I've noticed several of my photos have been deleted from posts even though they are still in my photobucket account - that seems to be a rare and random event. )

John
    The fish are always right.

Duck:

Unless I'm misinformed; the links in the saved archive file are only active when you are connected to the Internet which means the file isn't that big. BUT the problem with saving files as web archive MHT/MHTML or HTML is that you cannot FULLY access the content unless you are connected which can be a problem in certain situations like if you take a laptop to places with no internet access.

For example if you saved a multi-page thread with fly patterns as MHTML and then when you are NOT connected, you try to access page 2; you get nothing. Of course IF you only want a certain page and have that page open when you save the file you will be fine.

While it ain't as pretty, if it's just the brilliant comments we all make, that you want to save; you can do the "save as" command in Firefox or IE as a text file instead of a web archive MHT file. That way you will have a small file that isn't dependent on an Internet connection.

My solution for those times I want all the content without the necessity to be connected is to create a PDF which is fine if you have Acrobat.

We may at any time 'trim' some parts of the past BB. PLEASE,,, If you want anything, SAVE IT TO YOUR PC.

+ Reply to Thread