+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yellowstone River on Ice

Default Yellowstone River on Ice

Southwest Montana is in the grips of our first really cold snap of the winter. Just a few days before the pic below was taken the Stone was wide open and fishing fairly well. This picture was taken from the hill overlooking Mallard's Rest Monday afternoon. As you can see, it may be a while before we launch any boats from Mallard's.

Flybop,BRRR. t-t-t-thanks fer the foto. Gotta go inside now.
    I was at the Yellowstone in July and it was not very user friendly then either. I think the hatch report was old cars, cows and trees that were too close to the river. Oh yeah, and a bridge section. Merry Christmas Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

flybop -

Neat pic. I'm surprised that the Yellowstone would ice up that much in a matter of days ?!

John

P.S. I think I see the rise of a nice bow in that little patch of water on the far side of the river just this side of the bend. Out of my casting distance, but I'm sure you could get him !!
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

I was hunting ducks along the lower Madison one year, in the middle of one of those -40 spells, and when I crossed the spring creek and climbed up on the dike along the river, was amazed to see the river was a mass of ice floes 3/4 of the way up the river side of the dike, maybe 20 feet above where it normally flows.

Default Gallatin, too

The lower Gallatin looks about that like too. Ice from high-water mark to high-water mark. A week ago, it had the tiniest hint of ice shelves. Now it's overtaken the riverbed with just a trickle flowing on top of the ice. It happened too quick. I was still hoping to maybe get a couple of casts in.

+ Reply to Thread