+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two Handed Overhead Fly Rods

Smile Two Handed Overhead Fly Rods

I?ve been fly fishing in saltwater (stripers, Blues, sea trout, etc.), for well over 45 years with single handle rods from 7 to 10 weight. Presently, I decided to try 2 handed overhead rods to achieve more distance only when needed. I just bought the new 11 foot, 8 weight, Deer Creek TFO 2 handed rod. (Mfg Recommendations - 400-600 gr. or 7-10 weight lines)
    Three Questions-
    a) Suggest a manufacturer?s line for maximum casting distance in 3? deep flats, (light winds), an Intermediate line.
    b) Suggest another manufacturer?s line for fly fishing from a jetty into 25? of water depth, (light winds), a medium sinking line.
    c) Finally, suggest a line for fishing the heavy surf, (moderate winds), probably medium sink line.
    I assume that fly lines would either be heads with looped running lines, integrated line heads, or Weight Forward lines.
    A tough question, but would really appreciate recommendations from experienced 2 handed overhead anglers. Much thanks!

Uncle Barry Guest

Good morning Fltw.
    You have entered my World.
    Welcome to big horsepower fly fishing.

Your questions, there is enough to write a PHD there !
    "A tough question"......don't think so, just thats there a mountain of informatiion suitable for your answer.

I, myself, fish the salt almost every night of the year with a Double, mainly targeting Blues or as we call them Tailor from the ocean rocks for the surf beach.

A 11 foot Double, to me its too short for saltwater applications other than for boat fishing,
    because with rod length comes tip speed and with tip speed comes distance cast.

As a newby to Double Handed fishing please no NOT think in single handed rod loads, as the result will be in the end you will be confused like so many others in the past ! Start the Double World all fresh, just like you had found a new kind of fishing casting tool, be it a spin, baitcaster or what ever.

The first confusing part,
    " Mfg Recommendations - 400-600 gr. or 7-10 weight lines"

Single handed loads for 7 to 10w are approx, 185+-8grains, 10w+-10grains.

I just viewed the TFO web page and Deer Creek TH Rods for further information that might help you and discovered that the Deer Creek rods were designed as Spey type Doubles and not as Overhead type casting Doubles.

Generally, Spey type loads are heavier than Overhead casting loads, eg
    S, 10w, 650 to about 700grains
    OH, 10w, 600 to 650'ish grains

They, both types of Double rods have different designed applications.
    And as such, myself I would never use a Spey rod for Overhead casting, I would use a OH rod for Spey casting.

You may have noticed that the suggested loads from the manufacture are wide ranging, unlike single handed rods, this is normal with Doubles both S and OH types, this is also called by some as Butt and Tip loads, that the rod is suitable to cast.

Your questions, I will answer them if you like, but for your TFO rod.. ??

Kindest regards,
    UB

Smile Two handed overhead fly rods

As mentioned, I am new to this type of casting, & I thank you for replies on line suggestions. Just a bit of info- I received my rod recently, and since I had a 600 gr. Airflo Depth Finder line, I tried to cast it being a novice to the techniques. With several consecutive casts (no false), I suprisingly casted the 90 ' line + leader, and significantly into the backing with little effort. My conclusion: - With some more experience, and possibly using other lines, this new means of casting has more than met my objectives. The rod is not fast action, but seems to deliver line appropriately. Next is learning how to catch, retrieve and land fish with this long rod.

+ Reply to Thread