+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally off topic computer question

Default Totally off topic computer question

I know that this a fly fishing board, but if I can't ask my friends here who can I ask?

My hard drive crashed. I use to have Windows XP, but when they put in the new hard drive, they installed Vista Home Premium instead of XP even though I told them NOT to install Vista. My machine was one of those bought right before the release of Vista and had a free upgrade to Vista, but I chose to stay with XP all along.

My question is that this old guy can't read the small text that is on many web sites. I have went into the View tab and have chosen "text size" and then selected largest. It's still too small on this 22" wide screen monitor. I then played with monitor resolution, but some web pages won't load properly if I change it too much. Current setting is 1600 X 900. Any ideas for old guys with bifocals to be able to read the screen better. My Mom and Dad are in the same boat especially when it comes to Outlook Express on their XP based system. Things are too small for them to read to even send emails. What's an old guy to do? Thanks for your help.

Rick

Blog Entries

Lightbulb K.i.s.s.

i feel your pain.

first thing, try holding the "control" key down and tap the "+" key. sometimes that will enlarge the print. it allows me to adjust only the sites that need it.

second, go to the eye doctor with your laptop, or ask to sit at the receptionist's desk in front of the computer. adjust the chair if you need to. ask the Dr. to write a prescription for that distance. it's further than readers and closer than drivers/tv-ers. then find an old pair of glasses you don't use any more, and get this new prescription put into them

hey, presto! everything is a lot clearer and your neck won't be sore. that little bit of difference in "focal length" (i think that's what my dr. said.) is what does the trick.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, Down in the bottom right-hand corner is an icon that says 100%. Click on it and it will increase the screen size to 125%. Click it again, and it will go to 150%. Anything bigger than 125% will usually cause you to have to scroll side to side to see the whole post. If you click and hold the same button, it will let you go up to 400%.

Kirk

go to: start /settings / control panel / display /appearance/
    at the bottom of the pop up box is a drop down menu . change the settings for font size
    hope this helps us old farts with bi focals gotta stick together

Default Comp quest

Hello Clay...I have/had that problem too and still do to a degree but I was able to make it better. If you can follow what I suggest here, try it. If it makes no sense to you, prolly better let someone else do it that knows about these things.

1. Right click on desktop

2. Right click on personalize

3. Left click on Adjust Font Size (DPI)

4. Note if there is a dot in Default scale (96 DPI)

5. If so, try selecting Larger Scale (120 DPI)...
    ...click Apply and Ok. Your comp will prolly restart
    and you'll have larger text.

6. If not and you aren't clear on all of these instructions
    you'll need help as I don't want you to get in trouble,
    which is possible.

Any more questions, let me know and I'll try to help.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

theres also a magnifier tool . click the windows button, type magnifier in the search and click on it when it comes up at the top. haven't used it much but if you play with the settings a little it might be useful as well.

I knew that you fly fishing guys would help a fellow old guy out. Thanks for all of the nice ideas. My wife also pointed out that on our fancy Microsoft keyboard there is a zoom function and a magnifier function on the mouse. I'm not a computer guy and try to be a fisherman.

Default Consider getting rid of your bifocal

I had to go to trifocal for my computer, then I discovered progressive lens. I understand they don't work for everyone but I think they are the best thing since ice cream.

Progressives are the BOMB!! Although I'm gonna ask the doc for a little bit stronger magnification on the bottom to help with fly tying.

Kirk

While holding down the "Ctrl" key just turn the mouse wheel for larger or smaller font.

+ Reply to Thread