+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning/treating with ZipCast

nighthawk Guest

Some really great ideas here. Thanks guys.

Default Diy

For those who like projects...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc336.php

You'll Have to copy /paste this link I guess...I'm not sure how to get an active link...it's a winder made by Richard Lewis

Seems to me you could hook it to a BBQ motor and use for a dryer....

And if you want speed I added this....

Last edited by ducksterman; 12-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Ohiotuber's post means yet another sharp rise in my fly fishing learning curve.

The only time I ever cleaned ONE of my fly lines was when I fished in a farm pond whose surface was coated with a super-thick layer of nasty scum. I used ordinary dishwasher detergent to do the job. Which I've since read is not good for your line, as detergent breaks down important polymer layers (or something like that).

If they were put under a microscope, I suspect all my fly lines (and rod guides, too) are grubby as can be. And this may explain why my casting ease (and distance) seems to have suffered in recent months. Even if dirty line isn't responsible, it's a technical-sounding excuse that makes me feel better.

Jeez, what can I say? I'm from Kansas and grew up a spin fisherman and baitcast reel fisherman. We don't clean our line here, we leave it dirty and hope the next place we go fishing has clearer water so the line cleans itself while we're retrieving.

Time for an agonizing reappraisal. Zip-cast, huh? Okay...

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Hi Joe;

Zipcast is awesome!

I know you are supposed to clean your line after each use but, for me it's about every third use unless the pond is real dirty. I can tell when it's time re-apply zipcast, the line tends to stick to the guides when wet. After applying zip cast, it's like new again.

One thing I've noticed is that zipcast can turn a cheap line into a real winner. If you've ever purchased one of those Wally world specials for just a few bucks and it casts only so so, use zipcast on it! You'll be amazed!

This is one of the very few products for fly fishing that works as good as it claims!

Wayneb

Quote Originally Posted by wayneb View Post
    If you've ever purchased one of those Wally world specials for just a few bucks and it casts only so so, use zipcast on it! You'll be amazed!
    Glad to see someone else does this too. The performance of that combo is truely shocking. Best cold weather line I've ever cast as well. If SA would put their AST coating on that line, I'd buy nothing else - I'd gladly pay double the price for it. At $10.64 per line, that isn't saying too much though.

I'm a firm believer in ZipCast that's for sure. Order a bottle a few months ago and applied to a cheapy line I was using for practice, lawn casting, and the line was pretty beat up and ruff. So I thought I apply the zipcast to the line, cleaned up the line, apply zipcast and took it out and used it for a couple of days at a local pond I fish ... and what a difference it made. The line casted like it was brand new, very smooth, quite and no dragging when coming through the guides and could really tell the difference when stripping. I applied to my other lines right away and won't use anything else.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

ZipCast makes my lines as slick as elephant snot.

I use the Renew attachment after each days fishing to apply ZipCast. It is quick and easy.

Mikey, For an end of season fully line treatment, where can I get one of those winders you have?
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 12-13-2008 at 01:19 AM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Ya'll all have great ways to clean and treat your lines. Marty I really like that system you use as an on the water treatment. I think it would be especially functional for using in saltwater where long casts are required with lots of line to treat and often due to the salt. Same for pond use too.

This past April Mike demonstated his method at the Virginia Fly Fishing Festival with many interested on-lookers. As long as ya'll are taking care of your lines you will get longevity and better performance from your lines. That is good for you and good for me.

Keep up the good work. and thanks for your comments regarding ZipCast.

Dot
    Last edited by Dot Man; 12-12-2008 at 11:52 PM.
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Talking Supply and Demand

I have several lines to do, but the supply is short sometimes. Maybe "Santa-Tuber" will bring me some and leave it in my Creel I've been real good this year. Maybe his supply is better than the the other place?
    Dave
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration"
    "Izaac Walton"
    Member of NBOF
    Life Member FFF
    Member Ohio Council FFF

I've heard much about Zip Cast making old lines and cheap lines cast well again.

But how is zip cast on coated, top of the line, lines? Should it even be used on coated lines?

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread