+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't take a chance of "busting" your rod

Default Don't take a chance of "busting" your rod

Like most fishers, I set up my rod at the car. But if there is a long walk through brush, bramble and multi-flora rose, before reaching the stream, consider this: leave the rod in the sock and set up stream-
    side. Pocket the sock for the return trip.

Geting through the brush etc is tough enough without a rod in hand. The risk of breaking the rod is much higher already set up.

If you are exploring and may not come out where you went in, stuff the sock into a pocket for the return trip. If you find yourself in this position and don't have the sock with you, disassemble the rod leaving the line on or tie the sections together. A slip and fall will then not be as apt to cause a broken rod or a lost section.

Anyone having a better idea, please post so I can use YOUR method. I know that leaving the rod in the tube is safer yet...but IMHO its too much of a pain in the butt. Long trips with a back pack etc. excepted.

Ol' Bill

Blog Entries

Bill - I've got a couple of rod cases - one single - one double. On long walks (especially in brush) I find them less trouble than carrying the rod itself. Both have handles and the double has a shoulder strap.

------------------
    Life doesn't begin at 40 if you went 80 at 20.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I also have a double case with a shoulder strap. But, if I am moving on slippery or bushy terain, and I'm already set up, I walk with my rod backwards. It always seems to follow better than when it's 7 feet in front of me.

[This message has been edited by mwebb (edited 01 November 2005).]

Trail hands carry mine,no chance of a broken rod.

Keeping the rod in the case as long as possible is the best idea. That is why I like four piece rods the case is easier to carry. When walking through brush and bush I find walking with the strung up rod butt first over your shoulder with the tip pointing straight back is the safest method. If a branch grabs the rod or guide it should just pull the rod apart at the ferrules without breaking it.

That has been my experience.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

HydeHunter,mwebb,micropteris
    Granted, rod case to the stream is safer than rod in sock but to me, carrying or keeping track of the empty case all day would be bothersome. I'd most likely loose the darn thing.

Mike E,
    Sounds good to me.

Ol' Bill

nighthawk Guest

I am with Nick on this one. I always carry butt forward tip back. Have stomped through some pretty heavy brush and never broken a rod. They just pull apart.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

It's a great day for fly fishing!

When I went to a hike-in lake, I carried my rod in a case which has a shoulder strap. Pretty comfortable and it might have extended my life for a few seconds if I used it on the bear I saw near the parking spot.

Bill - there are a couple of places that I have hiked back in aways (3 miles +), here I have a back pack where I carry a few items, plus I carry one of my three piece rods in a case, strapped to the back-pack. Other than that, I've always managed to carry whatever rod, strung up and ready to fish.

It is very true there are many ways a rod can get damaged while being fondled by my hands. For instance, there's the living room ceiling fan. And who can ever forget that sick feeling of instantly knowing that you have just slammed the car door on your favorite rod tip! Or maybe the tailgate? Ah, yes ... the joys of owning a fly rod or two!

Dale

Two things: 1. Rod cases won't prevent you from breaking a rod. I was stepping over a fence when an old wooden post, weathered and rotten, broke in half and catapulted me upside down and into the grass. I came down right on my rod case and heard something snap. Feeling no pain I figured it wasn't me. Inside the case was the rod in three pieces. It was a two-piece rod. 2. A few weeks ago I transported my rod to a stream in a case, where I pulled the rod out and rigged up. After fishing for an hour or so I headed back to the car. Often when moving I'll put the broken down rod in the back of the Explorer, which I did. A couple of days later I went to put the rod back in the case and realized it was missing. I'd left it at the stream an hour away from home. I drove back up but someone had mowed the access and my case was gone. Long story short: I'm screwed either way. JGW

[This message has been edited by white43 (edited 02 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread