+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flourocarbon Tippet vs. Fluorocarbon Fishing line

Question Flourocarbon Tippet vs. Fluorocarbon Fishing line

Whats the difference? I found some 4 lb test Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon fishing line with a diameter of .005...the same as my 6x Frog Hair Fluorocarbon. I can get 250 yards of the Berkley for 10.99, but paid 7 bucks for 30 meters of the Frog Hair. Someone please tell there are some properties of the tippet material that makes it different from fluorocarbon fishing line...please.

The tippet material may be more supple than the bulk mono fishing lines, which is beneficial if you are trying to achieve a drag free drift.

Some of the less expensive bulk lines may be less abrasion resistant, be of inconsistent diameter or have other features that may not be desirable. However they may be just find for most applications.

I frequently use the fluorocarbon line for tippet material and I can't tell the difference

The only significant difference is cost.

Seriously Johnny,,, CALL Frog Hair and ask them! Then, let us know what they say.
    (*hint,,, there is a difference)

I'd say the difference is about 1-2lbs or .002"

I'd check that Vanish spool again. The stated pound test and diameters of the smallest sizes of Berkley Vanish are as follows:
    • Vanish 2lb - .006 - Equivalent in diameter to Frog Hair .006 or 5x with a stated breaking strength of 4lbs
    • Vanish 4lb - .007 - Equivalent in diameter to Frog Hair .007 or 4x with a stated breaking strength of 5lbs
    • Vanish 6lb - .009 - Equivalent in diameter to Frog Hair .009 or 2x with a stated breaking strength of 8lbs
    • Vanish 8lb - .010 - Equivalent in diameter to Frog Hair .010 or 1x with a stated breaking strength of 10lbs
    So based on this comparison Vanish 4lb is equal to Frog Hair 4X, not 6X but is one pound weaker.

This comparison is asked about lot and the results are always the same. If you believe stated strength and diameter measurements; tippet material is always stronger for the same diameter than fishing line. It is also more supple in most cases.

Whether or not that matters for the type of fishing you do is up to you but the bottom line is, the similarity ends when you compare diameters to strength.

I used a spool of Berkley Vanish and found it to be inconsistent in both strength and diameter. Sometimes it would work fine the next time it would constantly break off. I will not use anything but tippet material, but, if you can't tell the difference and have confidence in the bulk material, by all means, use it.

Bamboozle, I was making my .005 comparison based on what is listed on the Bass Pro Shop website.
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...ems#itemDetail. On that website it lists Berkley Vanish 4lb as .005 in diameter. However on Dick's Sporting goods, its listed at .007, MC Sports listed as .007, as well as others listed it at .007. This in and of itself makes me question the consistency or accuracy of the listed diameters on fluorocarbon fishing lines.

I'm using flourocarbon tippets almost all the time - even for dries. It seems that most of the pro bass anglers have gone to flouro. They fish for a living. They must know something.

Randy

Johnny:

Bass Pro just made a mistake. I got my info from Berkley and as you already discovered, other websites have the diameters correct. You won't see any inconsistency on the Berkley packaging and that 's what matters most.

While taking ALL tippet & line manufacturers stated diameters and strength with a grain of salt is a good idea; with fishing line it really doesn't matter as much as it does with tippet, especially in the small diameters.

For the record I'm a big Berkley fan for my non-flyfishing and while I never used Vanish as leader material; it is my line of choice on most of my baitcasters and is great stuff!!

+ Reply to Thread