+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for JC

Default Suggestion for JC

Why would helium not work in a float tube if you got it lined like those balloons you get that are filled with helium? A couple of layers of this in between a few layers of rubber otta do it!

Rick
    Last edited by Rick Z; 12-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.

I think the problem is not enough volume for the helium.

Hmmmm I wonder if a pontoon would work. I have a couple of ponds I would love to hike into with my toon floating along behind.
    Shaky;

Two things will happen. Some guy will actually try it. Some cartoonist will draw it. I will receive neither credit nor blame for either.

Blog Entries

Reality check:

One liter of helium will lift about one gram. (or, one cubic foot will lift about an ounce) My toon, with stuff, weighs approximately 50 pounds (22.7 kg). So, roughly 22,700 liters (800 cubic feet, about the volume of your bathroom) of helium to give it neutral bouyancy.

That is approximately 1600 toy ballons, or approximately 100 times the volume of the bladders in my toon.

Any questions?

What if I pump 'er up to fifty pounds? Will it go up then?

Default What if

I scotch tape 1600 mylar balloons filled with helium to my pontoon? Ya might be a redneck if... Merry Christmas, Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I fill up balloons at work alot, and the more i have to fill at one time the more force it takes to hold on to them, so in my way of thinking, any helium at all put into a float tube should make it lighter to carry...

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Grubb View Post
    I fill up balloons at work alot, and the more i have to fill at one time the more force it takes to hold on to them, so in my way of thinking, any helium at all put into a float tube should make it lighter to carry...

The cash you spend on the Helium would be better spent on a custom wheel for your toon. They wheel as easily as a wheel barrow even when loaded with all your stuff. Even with my bad knees I have no trouble wheeling my toon around.

Besides that You'll be tooning down the river, hit a bump and because you are so light you will become airborne. This sudden leap skyward will scare the crap outta the fish, thus negating all your efforts to catch one.
    You will at this point need to call for help. Instead of Help me, oh please won't somebody help me, what comes out of your mouth will be this squeeky little voice sounding like Donald duck. The Helium is leaking at this point. Just when you realize that you have been breathing in helium your voice starts to come back to you. By now you are several hundred feet in the air. Your voice has been returning to you because the helium is now almost all gone. This sad state of affairs causes your immediate plummet back to the earth. Giving you barely time to utter those famous last words
    OH Crap! Before it all goes dark. Nope stick to regular air my friend , its much safer.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

If Lawn Chair Larry can do it, you men can levitate your float tubes and pontoons.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    Reality check:

One liter of helium will lift about one gram. (or, one cubic foot will lift about an ounce) My toon, with stuff, weighs approximately 50 pounds (22.7 kg). So, roughly 22,700 liters (800 cubic feet, about the volume of your bathroom) of helium to give it neutral bouyancy.

That is approximately 1600 toy ballons, or approximately 100 times the volume of the bladders in my toon.

Any questions?
    How about hydrogen?
    Uh, no smoking on this boat....................
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread