+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Streamer Hooks

Blog Entries

Mustad 36717 is a special hook they make for salmon fishing on the Russian River on the Kenai Peninnsula. It is tough and sharper than most Mustads... It is also reasonably priced.

Gamakatsu makes a Russian river hook also and it is amazing. They are unbelievably sharp and tough, but they cost a quarter apiece by the hundred...

Blog Entries

Hap, what is the number on that hook, if it isn't too high I'd like to get some. I recently go the Daichii 2370 and I love it, and they are sharp. HOWEVER, I would prefer it had an up eye, or down eye. I like a salmon hook for my streamers, I think it makes the fly a little better. But I don't always use them of course. The Daichii hook is a good sturdy hook I have found so far. I prefer it to Tiemco hooks. I like some Mustad designs but many of their hooks are dull. I have a bunch of these types hooks, but I prefer a Daichii so far. I bought Orvis hooks today and plan to try them out. I have no idea how good they are. I even have if I remember right a Mustad Salmon hook. I like that hook too, but as with most of their hooks, it will have to be sharpened. I like Gamakatsu hooks, when I can find them, and if they aren't overpriced. They seriously need to make some nice streamer hooks...they do not have much in the streamer dept.
    Last edited by kelkay; 12-04-2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

Kelkay
    The T10 gami is my favorite and especially the colored versions. They are a looped eye hook.

The Russian River special hook is designed to stay under the legal 3/8" gap rule. The number is 14109-100, the style is "Russian River Fly". and I believe the only size they make is 2. Coho flies are tied on virtually all of them. I have used them hard for a lot of years and have had very few hook failures in literally thousands of salmon.

The T10 is far more prone to breaking... they never straighten out IME... because they are lighter wire.

I use a lot of hooks hard every year on lots of big fish. I have tried every hook I know of or have been able to get my hands on. For rough use there are none I have found that keep up with the above hooks... Or even close.

IME Owners are extremely sharp but do not stay sharp in rocky fishing conditions, nearly 100% of our river fishing. I have never broken one.

Tiemco is neither as strong nor as sharp as Owners and Gamis.

If you PM your mailing address I will label a bunch of different streamer hooks for you so you can look at the differences... and similarities. I literally have hundreds of hook styles and sizes on hand, with tons of streamer hooks.

Here is a chart of hook descriptions and cross references.
    http://www.killroys.com/hooks/hookchrt.htm
    art

TMC9394 & 9395 (one nickel, one bronze)

Very strong w/an incredibly sticky sharp point, but features a straight eye (if it matters).

Makes the TMC300 seem flimsy.

+ Reply to Thread