+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tube flies - 2 questions

Question Tube flies - 2 questions

I've been tying tube flies and pretty much understand
    how to tie them. I still have two questions.

1. I've heard that one advantage of tubes is you can lose your
    hook without losing the fly. If you lose the hook to a snag
    doesn't the tube just slide off??

2. I've been told that when a fish is hooked the fly just slides
    up the leader and out of the way. How does this work when
    you've got the "hook holder" tube on the back of the fly?

Thanks,
    Sweets

2. Default

=SweetStreamS;262855]I've been tying tube flies and pretty much understand
    how to tie them. I still have two questions.

1. I've heard that one advantage of tubes is you can lose your
    hook without losing the fly. If you lose the hook to a snag
    doesn't the tube just slide off??

Yes, if you break the line the tube will simply slide off. The advantage is that the tube is separate and independent of the hook. This means a damaged hook is basically irrelevant, as it is easily replaced, and the fly ( as long as it?s not actually lost) lasts a long time. Tubes etc wont rust in the box either.

2. I've been told that when a fish is hooked the fly just slides
    up the leader and out of the way. How does this work when
    you've got the "hook holder" tube on the back of the fly?

It works because any leverage on the tube slides it out of the holder, and the tube then slips up the line away from the hook. This also effectively prevents the fish from exerting any leverage on the tube at all, which also prevents the hook hold loosening.

TL
    MC

EDIT: Some additional info for you;

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter...ic-concept.php

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter...techniques.php

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter...d-patterns.php

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/bctubeflies/index2.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7LC8RxVVOc
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-06-2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Addition

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike,
    I think I understand now. It is still hard for me to visualize how the hook comes
    out of the tube holder. I would intuitively think that the fly and holder tube would
    usually stay together since there is nothing pulling the fly away from the hook.
    I will take your word for it though.
    Sweets

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SweetStreamS View Post
    Thanks Mike,
    I think I understand now. It is still hard for me to visualize how the hook comes
    out of the tube holder. I would intuitively think that the fly and holder tube would
    usually stay together since there is nothing pulling the fly away from the hook.
    I will take your word for it though.
    Sweets

Some of these things are not always immediately obvious. Nor indeed intuitive per se.

It does not always occur either, but mostly, it depends on how and where the fish is hooked, and how the fight progresses. Nevertheless, you can try it yourself, hold the hook in a vice, or pliers, on a taut line,and press the tube more or less any way you like, and it will slip off the hook holder. The point being that lateral pressure on the tube also causes it to slide away from the holder.

Just about the only time this does not happen is if the fish is hooked right in front of the upper jaw, and does not twist or turn much while being played. Otherwise, any twists or turns exert lateral pressure on the tube, while the line is taut, and force it away from the hook. Usually this results in it sliding up the line, especially if the fish runs while the tube is loose, ( even more so if it runs against the current), as the tube is then forced up the line away from the fish merely by water pressure.

Many people are of the opinion that a much better hook hold results from using tube flies, one which is far less likely to be dislodged than that of a rigid long shank hook for instance, because the fish is unable to exert any leverage on the long rigid shank. Any, even slight leverage exerted on the tube body causes it to slide away from the holder.

This also depends to a degree on the length, type, and flexibility of the holding tube, and how far it is mounted on the hook and the tube, respectively. There are some tubes where the hook is simply pushed into the rear of the tube, others use a rubber tube, etc, Most will slip off when a decent fish is hooked and played, but some more easily than others.

It also does not often happen with small fish, on larger tubes and hooks, because they dont/can't exert any leverage on the tube body.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-06-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typo

Thumbs up Thanks again

Mike,
    I really appreciate your insights. It makes much more sense now.
    Especially as you allowed that it "doesn't always happen".
    Thanks for the referral sites too.
    Hope I didn't take too much of your time.
    Sweets

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SweetStreamS View Post
    Mike,
    I really appreciate your insights. It makes much more sense now.
    Especially as you allowed that it "doesn't always happen".
    Thanks for the referral sites too.
    Hope I didn't take too much of your time.
    Sweets
    Entirely my pleasure. As for taking my time, there are only a few things I enjoy almost as much as fishing, and some of those are talking, writing, or reading about it. This and similar boards are designed for information exchange, some of which might not be readily or easily available, and we are lucky to have such. Indeed, I feel privileged to be in a position to answer some questions, and it really is a pleasure to do so when I can.

Many people have helped me over the years, and I feel obliged and privileged to return the favour to others whenever I can. I believe that says more about the "Brotherhood of the Angle", and indeed has more to do with it, than anything else.

And of course, this board is a pleasant and useful place in itself.

TL
    MC
    Last edited by Mike-Connor; 12-07-2008 at 12:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread