+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn Brackett and bamboo crew quit Winston.

Default Glenn Brackett and bamboo crew quit Winston.

Looks like theres been a falling out at Winston over who will succeed Glenn Brackett. Glenn and the entire bamboo crew have left the Winston company...
    [url=http://bassbug.blogspot.com/:1499e]http://bassbug.blogspot.com/[/url:1499e]

I found this interesting....Those Winston Glenn B. rods just went up in value.

Have a nice day,
    John G.

Does that mean the Winston bamboo shop is now hiring?

>>Those Winston Glenn B. rods just went up in value.<<

as the stature of RLW further eroded.

let's see ...

Current bamboo production:
    100 rods per year - $3000.00 X 100 = $300,000.00

Planned production:
    2500 rods per year - $3000.00 X 2500 = $7,500,000.00

I get it!

Just wonder how that goes with this quote from Winston:

"Two Years in the Making.
    There are no shortcuts in making a bamboo fly rod. The process can take up to two years, a fair amount of time in this age of "now." But that's what is required, for there are hundreds of steps involved. Bamboo culms are selected for straightness, diameter, fiber density and node matches. The culms are hand split so that the strips follow the natural grain of the bamboo. Next is node sanding, then strip grading, then heat tempering and taper cutting to 1/1000 of an inch, followed by fluted hollowing, gluing, and varnishing. Only now is it ready to fish."

~ winstonrods.com

------------------
    Joe

Winston introduced 2 more graphite rods at the Denver show. I did not cast them, but a well-known designed from another company told me not to bother, they were junk, and then said, "What were they thinking?"

Looks like we are finding out.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I stand by Glenn's decission. I believe in loyalty, integrity, and tradition. All qualities he stood for. It is a sad day That Winston sold all of that out. I began to question when they shipped some production over seas. I wrote it off as a business decission, but from what I have read on other boards this was just flat out bad leadership from Winston management. This will not only kill their bamboo business but it will have an effect in the graphite as well. I hope they back up and reconsider the effects this have on the pride and tradition of the Winston name. Bamboo in particular. As the onwer of two Winston rods I'm disgusted by this.

------------------
    John G.
    Albuquerque, NM

I'm not so sure taking the word of another manufacturer is the fairest way to evaluate a rod but hey, people like or dislike rods for many reasons.
    The major problem I have with Winston is that I love the action, looks and weight of their rods, especially the BIIx series!
    Unless they pull their heads out into the sunshine again, Winston has lost a good customer and proponent in me, that's for sure. Despite the fact some of their rods just seem to match my needs exactly in some ways, I will not abide with poor quality and shabby workmanship nor will I be taken for a ride out of my loyalty and settle for compromise from them.
    Thank goodness the folks at Scott Rods still have their heads on rather straight!.

I just hope that what happened to Powell Rods does not happen to Winston. It would be a shame for sure. But some people can't leave well enough alone. Ron

I work for a company who?s initials are K-C and was told that we will be out of work next year because they want to send 450 of our jobs to Mexico. I guarantee quality of the the products we make now will suffer after the move but I guess they don?t care. Money talks.

I won't rant here, but I will not buy from companies that produce out of the US. I haven't seen anything that moved from the U.S. maintain it's quality. Even my Levi's are low quality at the same old price. I say death to NAFTA and CAFTA.

If we're not careful the U.S. will only be a consumer superpower. I say quadruple tax companies that move out of America looking to make a few bucks more.

Where's my G-Loomis made anyway?

Notmo,

You work for Kentucky Fried Chicken?

Allan

+ Reply to Thread