+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie question

Default Rookie question

I'm just getting started fly fishing and have a few embarrassing questions. Could someone help me out?

1. Before heading out is it better to rig multiple leaders to interchange when necessary or should you change patterns on the same leader? Sorry if this is confusing.
    2. What are the bare essentials that every fly fisherman, novice or expert, must always have in his vest?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Gmcsmith,

First, welcome to FAOL!

Now, as to your questions, it's better to change flies by cutting off the current one and tying on a new one. Doesn't hurt to have an extra leader with you, but you don't want to change flies by changing leaders.

As for the bare minimum, I would suggest that all you need are 3 things:
    1) a spool of spare tippet
    2) fingernail clippers
    3) a few extra flies

- Jeff

I second that, also by tying on a new fly, the time you take to tie a new fly on allows the water and streambed to settle, allowing the trout not to be spooked off.

Carry 2 or 3 rolls of tippet and add the tippet to the leader when changing flies to keep your leader as long as you need it.

Good Luck

Gmcsmith -

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho.

I planned to answer you question, but I see my friend from Auckland beat me to it, almost word for word what I was going to say. Of course, in my case, I would add a pair of glasses so I can get a new fly tied on, if that is necessary, which it usually is.

John
    The fish are always right.

An excellent question, and I think the answer comes down to personal preference. When fishing (or planning to fish) dropper rigs (one fly tied off the hook bend or the tag end of the leader) I always tie them up in advance and keep them in a dropper rig flybox (available from Orvis and others). On the other hand for fishing individual flies I usually tie them on, on stream.

That being said however there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a small piece of appropriately sized tippet pre-tied to the fly so you can switch flies on stream. It will certainly ensure you are using up less of your tippet with every fly change.

As to the necessary tools, well that is very much again personal preference. What I consider necessary you may not. I think a pair of hemostats, a pair of nippers (can be fingernail clippers from the drug store), a few spools of appropriately sized tippet, a bottle of flotant (if fishing dry flies), sunscreen, and of course a fly box or two. I tend to be one of those "kitchen sink" people so I have multiple (seven) flyboxes, multiple types of flotant (gell and powder), enough tippet to completely rebuild a leader if necessary, etc. But there are also times I go fishing and all I have is a flybox and my rod/reel.

Hope this helps and welcome to the best fly fishing site on the net.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

I might suggest the Scientific Anglers L2L leaders. Simple change of leaders without any complicated tying. Once you get good enough to use one leader all day without getting it all snarled up then you can try something else.......but I never did. Love them!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

When I first started, I would shorten a 9' tapered leader to what I could cast. I usually cut about 3 feet off the butt end and then tie a tippet to the other end. If the leader ended with a 5X, I would tie in a 5X or 6X tippet about 2 feet long. After the knot tying, that would give me a leader/tippet somewhere less than 8 feet. To the tippet, I would then tie the fly. Now I'm down to about 71/2 feet. Turns out that it's just fine for my fishing needs. I like fishing with a 7 1/2 foot rod, so the leader/tippet length isn't a problem with getting all the knots into the tip top of my rod while landing a fish. I could probably use a longer leader/tippet rig, but so far I have no need. Plus, it's easier to handle. When I've removed and replaced enough flies to reach the leader/tippet knot, I try to replace the tippet with another 2-3 feet.
    Complicated I know, but it works for me.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Talking

2. What are the bare essentials that every fly fisherman, novice or expert, must always have in his vest?

A good cigar and a flask of single malt scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHamm View Post
    Hi Gmcsmith,

As for the bare minimum, I would suggest that all you need are 3 things:
    1) a spool of spare tippet
    2) fingernail clippers
    3) a few extra flies

- Jeff

It is amazing what the above items weigh when you put them in a vest... I agree with Jeff. That is the bare minimum, but you will be amazed how quickly that your bare minimum list will grow.
    By the way Gmcsmith, welcome to the best flyfishing site on the net. Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Brad

Default what to take.

GMC. First I want to welcome you to FAOL and the BB here.
    Second, The guys who answered your question know what they're talking about. Follow their advice.
    The only thing I would add for this time of the year are ragg wool fingerless gloves and a Louis L'Amour western novel to read until the snow flurries/wind/rain stops and you can go back to fishing. Oh yeah, and chapstick to keep the ice in the guides to a minimum.
    Oh, I see you are from San Antonio. The weather thing might not always be an issue. I guess you could swing by Lockhart and pick up my son to go fishing with you. He needs to knock the cobwebs off that St. Croix I gave him for Christmas last year. Don't think you can get him in your vest tho. He's more of a wheelbarrow tote. Jimsnarocks
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread