+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colorado Flyfishing near Denver?

Blog Entries

Default Colorado Flyfishing near Denver?

I'm going to Colorado near Denver the week of May 18th, 2009 and am looking for as much info as I can get on troutfishing in that area. Will be mobile but prefer to stay within an hour or so of my stepdaughter's home in Aurora. Thanks and let 'er RIP!

AND I'm spending the following week at the Pa FIsh In!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    AND I'm spending the following week at the Pa FIsh In!!!
    Whew! You had me worried for a bit.

On the Colorado thing, give this guy a call:

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/

His name is Charlie Craven, and he actually posts here. He's a really nice guy, too.

If you actually make it to his shop, I know of a fisherman back in PA that would really like one of his hats (that would be me, hint hint).

What you're going to have to watch that time of year is that runoff may have started and many of the freestoners may not be fishable. You're right on the edge, so it may be fine or it may not depending on how quickly it warms up.

There are a couple of options that might be workable. You could zero in on Rocky Mountain National Park out of Estes Park about 1 1/2 hours from Aurora. (Think small but wild fish in spectacular settings.) The streams there can be high but stay fairly clear if it doesn't warm too quickly. A couple of good shops in Estes Park are Estes Angler (estesangler.com) and Kirk's (kirksflyshop.com).

If the park doesn't look good, the other option is the always-dependable tailwaters on the South Platte--Cheesman Canyon or Deckers (1+ hour from Aurora), Elevenmile Canyon (farther) and the "Dream Stream" section below Spinney Reservoir (farther still). These hold larger fish and demand more technical fishing (especially Cheesman). Things can get crowded, especially when they're the only game in town.

Just contact the shops as the time gets close to monitor conditions.
    Last edited by Trigg; 12-05-2008 at 01:57 AM.

Default Fly Fishing around Colorado, Colorado's Top Rivers

I put this on my site a few months ago as well as more info for you to checkout

Where can i fish if traveling to Colorado?

More on Fly Fish Addiction

Many times a year I get an email from out of town friends, fishing buddies, or newbies to the state and ask.....where's a good place you could recomend to fish?

Rivers of interest are all dependant on where you would like to fish, the area you may be in, scenary, crowds and sizes of fish are all big factors.

Cheesman Canyon-South Platte River 1 hour away, Spectacular scenary hands down, little tougher fishing since they are finicky but great place and close, bigger fish there.

Big Thompson-Estes Park (right near Rocky mtn Natl Park) 1 hour 15 minutes from Denver, easier fishing, close to RMNP if going to spend time in Estes Park, 12-14" avg size fish, decent scenary but right off a 2 lane hwy.

Arkansas River-Buena Vista 2 1/2 hours away, perfect access to 50 miles of water, easy to fish, 12-14", whitewater, many big mountains in the back drop while fishing so hard to stay focused with it being so pretty there.

Colorado River-Kremmling 2 hours away, near Winter Park, spectacular scenary area, great dry fly fishing if the right time, fish avg 14-15"

Clear Creek-30 minutes away Idaho Springs,10-12" avg size fish, easy to fish, decent scenary but right off I-70 hwy, perfect dry fly stream

Frying Pan River- near Basalt and Aspen 2 1/2 hours away, amazing area with the red cliffs, near Roaring fork river as well, more crowded but BIG fish, BIG hatches and a must if close to there

Spinney Mtn Ranch- Commonly known as the Dream Stream is a 5 mile section of the South platte river nestled between Spinney Rez` and 11 mile Rez in South Park. Big fish move up when the water exceeds 100 cfs in the Spring and Fall for your best chance at huge fish...that and lot's of people! One last tip...expect Wind!!

Links for fishing Colorado:
    1)FFA Website http://www.flyfishaddiction.com/
    2)Good site for hatches and rivers http://www.coloradofishing.net/reports.htm
    3) River Gauges http://stream-flow.allaboutrivers.co..._flow-sCO.html

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.............keep it comin'...............

I second the Clear Creek suggestion by TD. What it lacks in scenery, it makes up in numbers of fish. This creek is mostly overlooked because of it's proximity to I 70 and road noise is there in lieu of sounds of the wild. Coors Brewing thought enough of it to make it the source of it's water for brewing. Close, convenient and fishy. Try it!

Mark

Check in with Front Range Anglers in Boulder - not a sponsor here, though.

http://www.frontrangeanglers.com/

Most everything has already been mentioned. Here are a couple of other threads with some useful info:
    Fishing near Denver?
    More Colorado questions...
    "Engineers don't idle well."

+ Reply to Thread