+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Trout Stream technique

Default New Trout Stream technique

Down to the stream tonight I went. Approaching sundown/dusk. Got my fly stuck in a weed on the other side of the stream. I wound in all the line and laid the rod out most of the way into the stream. Walked clear down to the bridge and crossed over and went up and loosened fly and just tossed it into stream. Went walking back down the the bridge (actually two big steel girder across the stream.....not a true bridge) and as I was walking back up to my rod in the corner of my eye I thought I saw my cork handle and reel move! I'm like surely not....got closer and sure enough....end of rod moving around. Picked it up and had a nice 15" rainbow. So...what technique is this? Just throw in water and wait? Let it set and do nothing?

Gem

Now we call that "Chuck and Chance" in my neck of the woods, could be a new form of "Heave and Leave" "G" but I guess we have a lot to learn on catching big uns.

Lucky your rod didn't go for a swim. Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

The fly was "on the dangle". It's a very effective technique. While fishing a small streamer or a soft hackle it is better to let it dangle for several seconds before you pick up.

John

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com:6663b]http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com[/url:6663b]

And my version of this technique is to let my line and fly freefloat/drag downstream as I retie my boot lace. Not always productive but then again, no method is.
    Wouldn't it be awful if I caught a "trophy" using this method? Would it count?

Mark

Finally ... a name, a description, for my type of fly fishing ... after all these years!

"Chuck & Chance" ... Heave & Leave"

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lot of work to save one fly Jim... You did try it again I suspect?

Letting a streamer or wet fly dangle in the water is a technique that works well for smallmouth bass. Sometime moving the fly a few inches with the rod tip or with line manipulation will entice a fish to hit the fly.

The first twenty inch trout I ever had on my line struck a dangling dry fly as I let the line hang downstream while trying to cross the Muskegon in a very dicy spot. The brown took my fly and made a spectacular leap right in front of my brother. Unfortunately I was in trouble with the current and could not raise the rod tip or even turn to look at the fish which quickly spat out my fly. I'm pretty sure that this downstream dancing fly technique is one I should use more often; especially in places where a good drift is nearly impossible.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Another method you might want to try if you happen to be a smoker: Clamp the rod under your armpit and let the fly dangle while you occupy both hands digging out and lighting up a smoke. I've had it happen with a dry fly on two ocassions. (okay, they were 20 years apart)

GFF

------------------
    Dick

Time spent FLY fishing is not deducted from one's life

You learn something new every single day of your life. If you don't, you weren't paying attention.

DaleW; Welcome to the club. "G" Jax

------------------
    I'm a much better Fly fisher when talking fishing, than when I'm Actually Fly fishing!
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

+ Reply to Thread