+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Fas Snap....not me

Default The Fas Snap....not me

The first and only time I tried to fish with a Fas Snap I lost the fly and the snap on the first cast. The tippet slipped out of the eyelet where it is bent to meet the shank.

No thanks.

Gemrod

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hi Jim... Them Fas Snaps are a joy to lose... I mean use.
    Many years ago I met a fella on the North Umpqua while swingin' flies. He was catchin' steelies perty fast. I asked him what he was using. It was a molded plastic fly he had invented and patented.. the Frisky Fly. it used a Fas Snap and each F.F. came with one. Without the snap, the fly's action was impaired, and it didn't catch fish nearly as well. The Frisky Fly was a " grey area" kind of fly, and now isn't legal as a fly on most fly only waters. I say it is actually a lure. I tried Fas Snaps many other times, and with small tippet I always had the trouble you did. I sometimes use them with crappie jigs and larger dia. leaders. I'm wondering if some of the other guys here remember the Frisky Fly ? I haven't seen them in years. I imagine the rights for them were purchased by a big company long ago. I was just a teenager when I met that fella, and I can't remember his name, but he sure was catchin' the steelhead with his little invention.
    Those days you hardly saw anyone fishing nymphs, it was mostly dries and a few wets, like muddlers and wooly worms. we weighted everything with lead wire to get it down there. .................................................M odocDan

Good Morning Dan,

Yeah, I would love to use the little ones. But not at the cost of the snap on AND the fly. I wish they would stamp them out instead of bend the eye. Like being solid like a tippet ring. Then I would really like being able to switch flies so easy. I haven't given it any thought lately....but I wish there was a way to close up that little gap. Then they would be terrific.

58 degrees here today and abundant sunshine. What a beautiful day.

Gemrod

I started using them this past year and I love them. I have not had any problems with them. At first I did worry a little about the strength of them, but they look to be the same thickness and steel as the hooks I use, so why wouldn't they hold up? I even hooked and landed a 6-7 lb Steelhead using one and it held up fine. The pros are the obvious, I can change out a fly quickly. Also the open ring does allow the fly to have a more natural "loose" action on the end of the line. I use them spin fishing as well. The con's would be it is an extra piece of hardware that a shy fish can see and get turned off of the offering. They are tiny, so you may need a pair of hemos to put on/remove the fly, especially with the smaller sizes. Also I like to break down my rigs at the end of the day and when I reel the line in with the fast snap on it does catch on the wire guides. I think the brand I use are Mustad, but I'm not sure as the small fly shop I get them from repackaged them into packs of six for .99.
    Tom.
    Last edited by Scooter; 12-01-2008 at 07:39 PM.

I used to use them quite often on poppers and such for bluegills, but I've gotten off them in the last several years. May have to give them another shot!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

I used them whenever possible this year. I love 'em, and they work great! I plan to use them during the ice-fishing season now, too.

The only problems I've had are that occasionally the smallest ones will "open up" a bit, and make it easier to cast a fly off (if you cast like I do..."flailing" is my default style). Simply push the bend back together, but over time it will weaken. I haven't had that problem with the next size up, so its the size I use most often now.

I get 'em from Cabelas. My local sporting goods store carries them in smaller quantities, and charge a lot for them.

I've had numerous occasions where the fish had the fly in their mouths, but weren't hooked....they were actually caught on the Fas Snap!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Normand Guest

why not just close up the gap with that pair of hemostats hanging from somewhere on your vest??

How a picture of one se we/I can see what is the issue or what is a Fas-Snap?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Normand Guest

I didn't try to close it up because I was soooooo disappointed and disgusted. I am the proverbial tinker bell so ever since this came up I have been wondering about a fix for it.

Nice Pic Normand. The issue isn't shown well....but where the eye is made by bending around to itself....my tippet slides out the gap and all is lost. I wanna weld a tippet ring to it! <grin>

Gemrod

+ Reply to Thread