+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips for fishing a dropper

Default Tips for fishing a dropper

I've been having some success fishing with just a BH nymph, but I've heard suggestions on adding a second fly off the nymph. But what kind of fly works best? I suppose it depends on several things, but any suggestions would be helpful.

Keep in mind I fish small streams for Browns and Bows, and NO, there aren't any fish in SD.

------------------
    See you in the hills

If I use a two nymph set up I usually use a big golden stonefly nymph or something else large and visible as the first fly and then I tie on another smaller nymph as a dropper through the eye of the first nymph.

I think that a dropper can be very productive fished behind a larger "attractor" nymph. The combination that you use will depend on the specific stream that you're fishing, of course. I have had success with small midge patterns -Zebras, Serendipities and the like fished behind something like a larger Prince, GRHE, or Pheasant Tail. I've fished with the dropper tied onto the bend as well as tied onto the eye of the larger nymph, and have had both work, although I know that some people feel that tying the dropper onto the bend of the larger fly interferes with its drift. I usually use about 12-18 inches of fluoro for the dropper, but monofilament is probably just fine most of the time.

Make sure that whatever water your fishing permits multiple flies, of course!

Cheers,
    Dennis

I've started fishing a small olive bugger-like nymph under my poppers.

I still haven't had any hits on either fly.

When I fish a dropper in the salt, I tie a surgeons loop in a tippet section about 1/3 of the way down and attach to the leader via loop2loop.
    I cut the dropper section back to about 4" and fish two streamers, small on the dropper, large on the point.
    For trout I like to have a streamer chasing a nymph. I don't know if the fish care, but it looks right to me

------------------
    Support politicians who support the environment
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I've had fair success on a Epoxy Ant as dropper. For bluegill - under a #8 popper.
    For trout - under a #10 or #12 foam grasshopper. [This rig works for BG as well, of course, but the #8 popper is enough to interest a LMB too.]

The ant is either a #12 or #14.

Donald

+ Reply to Thread