+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your first vise, tools & materials ?

Default What was your first vise, tools & materials ?

when i first started tying, the price was real cheap... didnt have money to buy a storebought vice so i made one... it was a clothespin screwed to a stick and stuck in a peice of 2 by 4...feathers was just whatever i found in the yard or the chicken coop & fur was from whatever had hair like discarded peices of carpet or just about anything... my grandma made all our clothes so i had plenty of thread to tie with... she allways left a foot or 2 on the spools when she throwedem away... later on i got a thompsonvise, the older model what has a knob at the rear to tighten the jaws... now i use a danvise and have tying tools for every tying situation emaginable, (6 tying stations all with vices, tools & tying materials), teaching a tying class and have a walk in closet full of tying materials...
    Last edited by bugman; 11-25-2008 at 01:34 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

My first vise was a small pair of needle nose vise grips that I would stand up in a couple holes drilled in a board.They actually worked pretty good.I would pick up feathers from the ducks and geese at a local pond and sometimes use packing foam cut to size as bodies.Thank God for sharpies.
    -Steve

I guess I started with a kings ransom compaired to you. I got a cheap vise (special made for fly fying) and new tools for about $50 total. I've upgraded my tools since then, but my ability is about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kypapaw View Post
    My first vise was a small pair of needle nose vise grips that I would stand up in a couple holes drilled in a board.They actually worked pretty good.I would pick up feathers from the ducks and geese at a local pond and sometimes use packing foam cut to size as bodies.Thank God for sharpies.
    -Steve
    You know to this day I carry a very small pair of vise grips and loupe with me when fishing, comes in very handy. Before my Regal that is how I would fumble around making my own flies.

Sewing scissors & small vise grips with thread right from the spool..
    Grasshopper wings from blades of grass.. Dab of head cement and
    volia, blade hopper, come and get it...

Steve
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I was really fortunate. A fellow FAOL'er loaned me my first vise and gave me a couple pair of scissers and misc. other tools (bodki, bobbin, etc.). Because of his generosity, I got off to a good start with high quality stuff and I do think it made a difference. I really love to tie and got off to a very quick start.

Some of the tools he gave me are ones I still use in every tying session because I appreciate his gift and because it was quality stuff.

As I gather more stuff, I will, someday, pass on his generosity to a new tyer or a new fly fisher.

Jeff

Smile

My fingers,-----mothers thread varn and chicken feathers. It worked and I still can tie with my fingers. BILL

When I was 7 my family went on a camping trip to the Rangeley Lakes area in Maine.
    On the way my father filled my head with stories of the region's rich fly fishing heritage. I had seen Ted Williams cast at the Boston Sportsman's show earlier in the year and I wanted to cast and fish like Ted.
    Later at the campsite I tied up a fly on a bait hook with some of my mother's olive colored wool knitting yarn, grabbed a rod and headed down to the lake
    I had little casting experience, but I did get my homemade fly out far enough to catch a fish (a smelt) My first fish on a fly. My first fish on a fly that I tied myself.

When I started tying for real, in the early 70s, I had a Herter's vice and some cheap sewing scissors.
    For materials, I used sewing thread and whatever I could scrounge up along with feathers and other stuff that I found.....
    Kinda like what I still use
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

In 1996 I received a fly tying kit from Wal-Mart that had a Fly Master Supreme Vise in it, the kit at the time I think was around $30.00 and included all the stuff I needed to get started. I still remember my first fly I tied, now that was funny, I kept it for along time, I remember that I was so excited, lol That fly was a site to look at, but it was my first one and I could do it!
    I didn't catch a fish on my first fly but I was so excited about it, I was off to the races with it, I liked doing it. I had fun collecting tying material from nature, road kill, found feathers, hunting etc...

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Fingers first and then..........

That is an easy question. My first real fly tying vise came in an Official Boy Scout fly tying kit and was a stamped metal piece of cr*p that would hardly hold a hook at all. The kit also came with small packages of brightly colored but totally useless feathers and hair. Still and all, at the age of 11, I was totally hooked on fly tying.

A year later, I purchases a Herter's vise and tool kit. That was in 1957 and I used it right up through the mid 1970s. I believe the total cost for the vise, scissors, bobbin, mirror, and bobbin rest was about $17. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Herter's and Waseca. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 11-24-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: needed a comma

A classic situation. My uncle mad me one where he worked. My grandfather gave me a HI rod for Christmas and my dad gave me a silk fly line. I was twelve.

+ Reply to Thread