+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Bird

Default Lucky Bird

Went to the market on Friday to get our Thanksgiving turkey. Heard some noise today and saw this on the roof of my garage. Actually, they are everywhere around here. This one just seems to have a hankerin for fish.

Gary

Default Get me one !

Hey good buddy, that looks like TG dinner to me...how come you have all the turkeys, you feedin' 'em or sumthin' ? I don't have any on this side. Been fishin'? Checked the tanks?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

At risk of a somewhat hijack, just how GOOD or better is wild turkey from the farm raised?. I know this is probably a matter of taste , or is it?

Mark

You mean it didn't "tragically" fall off the roof and roll under your moving vehicle, or run out in front of you at the shooting range?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    At risk of a somewhat hijack, just how GOOD or better is wild turkey from the farm raised?. I know this is probably a matter of taste , or is it?

Mark
    I'm guessing they taste like any other turkey. Don't know. My wife says they are pets, she has even named a couple of em. And no, she says we don't eat pets.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Hey good buddy, that looks like TG dinner to me...how come you have all the turkeys, you feedin' 'em or sumthin' ? I don't have any on this side. Been fishin'? Checked the tanks?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Ya, They found the feeders, and actually broke one. Donna just came home from wally word with three more.
    Haven't been to the fish ladder lately or fishing. The turkeys just don't like it on your side of the river. Not enough dogs.
    Gary

Default Dogs

True, true...there is a shortage of dogs over here. And yep, no shooting the pets...like my resident 8 pt. that the tips have gone ivory on. Dang he's gettin' huge. I haven't been to the tanks or fishing lately either, soon though...btw, get well !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Blog Entries

They do taste better than the store bought ones IMO. They have been selectivly breeding the dark meat out of domestic turkeys and emphasizing the white breast meat. I prefer dark meat and prefer the wilder taste.

On the way home from Lowell this year there was one on the side of the road that some car had hit. I was sorely tempted to harvest a few feathers but didn't want to explain them to some border patrol officer.

Nice pic.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Howdy Backcast ! Greetings from south of ya !
    We got turkeys all 'round these parts, just not in town where I live. See 'em every time we go out fishin or whatever. The wild fellers taste almost like storebought birds, but somewhat leaner, I've had some that huntin' friends of mine got. Never hunted 'em myself. The store bought birds are usually much heavier in the breast and thighs. I shudder to think of why that might be....... Down here on our river...the Rogue, the steelhead fishin is warmin' up. I imagine the old N. Umpqua is too. That's where I learned to fish for steel & caught my first,, back in the late '60's. They're takin out a couple dams here, so we're gonna see the last of the fish ladders on the Rogue before long. That's a good thing, I figure.....................................ModocDa n

There's lots of wild turkeys here in NZ. I've not tried any, but apparently they feed on crickets at certain times of the year and this makes them taste bad. Otherwise, they are supposed to be very good.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread