+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use for shims in reel seat

Default What to use for shims in reel seat

In the past, I have used masking tape to make up shims on the rod blank to fit into the real seat. I was wondering what other people are using.

Any other suggestions. What are others using?

ive only built 1 bamboo rod, restored 1 and now building another rod... i used # 6 silk thread to shim the blanks to the reel seat... it goes on more evenly than paper or tape, doesnt slide up or down and ya can get a tighter more dead center fit...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Default Shims

I've heard that sheetrockers tape is better than masking tape, so I'll try that next build. Masking tape has always worked ok though but then I make the shim in three or four sections, fitting each one and then making sure I fill the spaces with plenty of expoxy. Not lost a seat since I quit using string.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I'll second the Drywall Tape The little holes in it absorb the Rod Bond so much better

Quote Originally Posted by skip16510 View Post
    I'll second the Drywall Tape The little holes in it absorb the Rod Bond so much better
    If the little holes are absorbing the epoxy, it is not ding it"s job...bonding the reel seat. If you use enough to fill all the holes, you are using about 3 times as much as needed and adding unecessary weight. I'll stick with tape...in 20 + years of rodbuilding, not one failure that I am aware of...
    Brad

I use graphite arbors. Put them on the blank oversize then turn on the lathe to fit the reel seat. I have never been a fan of masking tape or drywall tape under reel seats.

On the reelseats I make for bamboo rods I just make the reel seat to fit the blank without shims.

If there is very little room (a couple of wraps) then fiberglass mesh tape (drywall). If there is enough room, a polyurethane arbor for sure.

Thank you for all of your responses.

I am somewhat limited in that I do not have a lathe.

As far as polyurethane arbors -- where would one find these nd then how do you fit them?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    I've heard that sheetrockers tape is better than masking tape, so I'll try that next build. Masking tape has always worked ok though but then I make the shim in three or four sections, fitting each one and then making sure I fill the spaces with plenty of expoxy. Not lost a seat since I quit using string.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    i dont shim the whole thing with string... i shim it at the mouth, the middle & the butt... the rest gets the epoxy... havent had any problems so far but aint built many rods either... still new to rod building...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

When you talk about sheet rockers tape, do you mean that mesh like tape as opposed to the paper tape?

+ Reply to Thread