+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ross vs. Lamson

Nah - I replaced it with an Abel Super 5. Problem solved nicely.

Default Reels

I own a Litespeed and love it but than again I also own 3 other reels by Ross that I can't lie without!

Smile Thanks to all

My thanks to everyone who replied to my query. (I've decided to go with the Ross Evolution.)
    ggh

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    I find all this discussion of the merits of the Lamson drag somewhat amusing considering we are talking about a reel for a 5 weight. What exactly do you think he's going to be going after? Dorado?
    you beat me to it...

While I do have a Lamson Radius that I fish regularly on my 5 wts., I rarely have fish on the reel anyway (this includes some bruiser trout) so the drag on it rarely gets used. I also have a Ross Cimmaron that I use on my 6 wt. but again, the drag present on the reel isn't really needed for the majority of the fish that will be caught. Let your rod do the work when your fighting fish, not the reel. You'll find that you'll land your fish quicker and they won't be quite so exhausted when you release them.

now, back to the reel discussion, I love both of mine. the Ross is built like a tank and the Lamson is really smooth...you really can't go wrong either way.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Trust this,,, if the drag disc gives out it won't matter the size of the fish. Had it happen to me.

Really, no one EVER hooks big fish on a 5wt!

You could probably just rig up the fly line plastic spool onto the rod...I mean, you know, if all you need is a line holder.

Haven't fished with either, but alot of the guys in my flyclub swear by Galvan

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    I find all this discussion of the merits of the Lamson drag somewhat amusing considering we are talking about a reel for a 5 weight. What exactly do you think he's going to be going after? Dorado?
    I've got to disagree here regarding the drag being unimportant for trout. I fish several tailwaters here in MO (and Arkansas) for trout. My average trout is probably 14" or so. But on a good day I'll typically hook (and usually land) at least one 20" or better bow or brown. With a fish like that (usually using either 6 or 7x tippet) a very smooth drag is imperative. I've tried cheap reels and with most of them it's impossible to land a fish like that (for me anyway).

That being said though both of the reels in question probably have a good enough drag for this purpose. I have a Ross Rhythm and it is very good including the drag. I think it has the same drag system as the evolution. But I've heard the Lamson's have an even smoother drag. I guess the question would be - how smooth do you need?

Just my .02

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glm38 View Post
    I guess the question would be - how smooth do you need?
    Is it a need or a want? All I really need for a drag is the palm of my hand... but having a very smooth mechanical drag is a very nice luxury (and practical because if allows me to use both hands to control the stick better).

I utilize my drag often... On the Kenai (Alaska), the water is big and the fish are big. The rainbows frequently hit 34" - 36". The 20"+ is simply the average fish.

And besides, when fishing light weight for the smaller guys in smaller water, we are working our presentation right through the middle of spawning salmon, so it is not rare to have to wrestle with one of these guys for a time. This is also the benefit of having virtually no startup on the drag... it keeps the flies on the end of the line instead of instantly popping at the first head shake.

So, can we live without a smooth drag, sure. Is the drag helpful, of course. Does the higher quality drag make a difference, IMO...yes.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Is it a need or a want? All I really need for a drag is the palm of my hand... but having a very smooth mechanical drag is a very nice luxury (and practical because if allows me to use both hands to control the stick better).

I utilize my drag often... On the Kenai (Alaska), the water is big and the fish are big. The rainbows frequently hit 34" - 36". The 20"+ is simply the average fish.

And besides, when fishing light weight for the smaller guys in smaller water, we are working our presentation right through the middle of spawning salmon, so it is not rare to have to wrestle with one of these guys for a time. This is also the benefit of having virtually no startup on the drag... it keeps the flies on the end of the line instead of instantly popping at the first head shake.

So, can we live without a smooth drag, sure. Is the drag helpful, of course. Does the higher quality drag make a difference, IMO...yes.
    I guess when you put it that way a high quality drag could be considered a luxury. But to me using the "palming" method of applying drag has never worked that well except in limited situations. I know it works well for a lot of people though. Probably works best for people that get to fish a lot. But I'm a busy professional and my time on the water is pretty limited.

Size of the fish is all relative isn't it? Am I envious that a 20" plus fish is the average in your neck of the woods? Sure at least a little. But I'm perfectly content with the challenges in my neck of the woods.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread